1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are they teaching kids at Columbia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 20, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kerry's not shown the love in the most liberal town in the nation's most liberal state:

2. YankeeFan

Don't be so sure.

DADT was a convenient excuse, but the military -- to use a Bill Clinton term -- is loathed on many of these campuses.

And, it will be fought by many.

And what about ROTC programs? Will they be welcomed on campus?

The saving grace for some of these schools may be that the military decides it's not worth the money to fund ROTC on additional campuses.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

DADT wasn't a "convenient excuse." It was campus-wide policy to not allow employers to recruit on campus who had discriminatory hiring policies. The military had a discriminatory hiring policy.

The idea that they "loathe" the military is simply wrong. Ivies and their equivalents give enormous admissions breaks to former veterans, for example. It is the strongest "soft factor" that someone can have. I remember just recently reading about Columbia and its efforts to reach out to veterans and bring them on board - and the difficulties of adjusting to Ivy life and how they kind of band together on campus.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Link? Proof?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Takes one to know one.

6. Even if they volunteered? And what do you mean fighting for our country?
    As opposed to defending the U.S.?

I don't advocate the booing, but I'm not going to wrap myself in the red, white and blue flag of freedom either.

7. YankeeFan

You don't think Elena Kagan loathes the military?

And, besides, the military's policy was enacted by the President and made into law by the Congress and the signature of the President.

Was the White House and/or members of Congress ever banned from recruiting on campus? It was their policy that the Military was enforcing -- just as they'll enforce the new policy.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder how many Ivy League graduation speeches Bill Clinton has given since 1993 when he started DADT.

9. Because ANYONE speaking out for the repeal of DADT MUST be gay. ::)

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Classy as usual, Boom.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You actually think Elena Kagan "loathes" the military? Says a lot about you.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From age 22 to age 50, Elena Kagan wouldn't offer an opinion on anything if you held a gun to her head. She was on the Supreme Court track from the time she left Yale, and knew that. At Harvard, she was enforcing university policy. There is absolutely zero indication from anything she has ever written or done that her actions were motivated otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted