1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are they teaching kids at Columbia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 20, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/20/wounded-iraq-vet-gets-heckled-columbia-university-speech/

Tragic that Auburn can no longer toilet paper its favorite trees, but these NYC students refuse to let tradition die.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Consider the source = no credibility.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Audio here.

http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/spectrum/task-force-releases-audio-of

Was there a bit of jeering? Yeah. Should there have been? In a perfect world, no, as at these events people should be able to speak their mind freely without being heckled.

Was it some outrageous event where he was yelled off the stage? No. And he handled himself very well after the brief remarks from the crowd and overall presented his opinion perfectly. And, at the end of his talk, he gets a big round of applause. So I think the kids are still being taught all right at Columbia and, shockingly, the New York Post - where the story first came from - may have exaggerated just a tad.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's disgraceful.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could never bring myself to boo someone who has been risking his life fighting for our country.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Everyone who's shocked Mizzou has a strong opinion without listening to the audio, raise your hand.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a meeting about a military ban on campus. Obviously there were going to be students there strongly opposed to the military. He was well aware when he walked into the building that he was walking in as a symbol of the military. Nothing much to see here but the First Amendment in all of its glory. I respect both sides.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bottom line, any "news" originating from any orifice of the Faux Fascist Noise empire can be preemptively presumed to be bullshit.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

They were risking their life all right, but not for our country.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It cheapens what they were fighting for if we can't debate political issues vehemently.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And there's the issue. Sounds like some of their respect was left in the dorms.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A good analogy would be the health care Town Hall meetings.

As there, the lack of civility is my biggest issue. But those were adults. When you've got a bunch of college kids in a room debating a flammable issue, you've got to anticipate a little bit of this. They'll learn. And they'll channel their rage more appropriately. But at least they care about something.

Draft saved Draft deleted