1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the odds this was a scam?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would visit the guy at his office.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

I've heard that actually pressing a number triggers something computerized - I don't pretend to know - that allows them to access your phone account and do the long-distance thing.

For those you should just hang up.

EDIT: felt bad for being lazy. this story says doesn't work from home

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2007/01/16/phonescam.html

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've gotten four of these calls on my WORK cell phone in the past two days. The first time, I asked them to tell me the make and model of my car, since they obviously knew it was almost out of warranty. They hung up before I finished the sentence.

The second and third times I said "Take this number o.." before they hung up.

Tonight, I got to "The last two times you guys have hung up..." before he hung up.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Next time, tell them what you're wearing -- a beanie, hooker boots and a straightjacket. See how long they last.

6. imjustagirl

Goddammit Mikey, PMs are not to be posted.

7. joe

joe Active Member

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If yer friendly, you'll leave a message. If you're foe-y, you won't. Purdy simple.

8. imjustagirl

Well it was the work phone. And I get a lot of calls on my work phone listed as 'unavailable.' So I kind of had to answer.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My bad. Please don't tell.

11. imjustagirl

Best part of this post: Just asked Mikey how in the hell he came up with this get-up and he said, I swear, "i just said the three articles of clothing that first came to mind."

God help us all.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I got that call and assumed it was someone violating the do not call list.

So I hung on but they wouldn't tell me who they were. Only if I gave them my address first.

Draft saved Draft deleted