1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the chances the BCS champion and AP champion won't be the same?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Charlie Brown, Dec 3, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, maybe in hoops, Doc.

Forgot Kansas has only one loss....until tomorrow night

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, they will still have one loss to finish the season. Cosmo will not be happy.

Re: 1 vs. 2, if LSU wins, you have to evaluate who's the best two-loss team in the country. LSU lost to Arkansas and at Kentucky; Oklahoma lost at Colorado and at Texas Tech (Bradford concussion first quarter); Virginia Tech ... oops, I forgot, the Hokies will have a third loss after tomorrow night.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that if LSU wins, it would be the best two-loss team in the country.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

LSU's second-best victory, based on what you are saying, would then probably be its 48-7 win over Virginia Tech, which finished third in the BCS and won the ACC. Wins over No. 1 and No. 3 in the BCS would look pretty good for a 12-2 team that won the SEC.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's no more, no less fair than saying if Oklahoma beats W. Virginia after hammering Missouri, which beat Illinois, which beat Ohio State, should warrant similar consideration.

However, let's split hairs. Oklahoma lost to Colorado, which lost to Alabama, which lost to LSU.

But LSU lost to Kentucky, which lost to Mississippi State, which lost to West Virginia, which will lose to Oklahoma.

How insane is this shit?

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If Herbshit wants to do something constructive for college football, he needs to say on national television what a joke this whole system is, how it holds no credibility in determining a champion and how this whole issue is about money, petty jealousies, power and status quo rather than finding a true champion.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Uh, that's already been done. LSU is already ranked higher than all the other two-loss teams. Should LSU win, it will remain ranked higher than all the other two-loss teams.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Georgia was the highest-ranked two-loss team at the end of the regular season. I know, didn't win conference. Just sayin'. The Bulldogs were perhaps a Vanderbilt field goal off the uprights from playing for the national championship. They'd have had to beat LSU, sure, but you can make the argument. In this system, that's the price for letting someone else do your work for you. Beat South Carolina, and we're having some other discussion instead of this one.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Georgia never got a crack at LSU. I would still skeptical about LSU, even if it wins.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Huh? LSU has two losses. LSU is ranked #2 in every poll. Georgia is ranked behind LSU in every poll.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No, Georgia was No. 4 in the Nov. 25 BCS (by end of regular season I meant the week before conference championship games), while LSU fell to No. 7 after it lost to Arkansas, and some assumed Georgia would move up if West Virginia and Missouri lost. But that didn't happen. LSU, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma all leap-frogged Georgia the following week.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

No, the Buckeyes don't deserve to be No. 1. They haven't beaten anyone and they should be punished for their horseshit non-conference schedule. If they played Oklahoma, USC or Georgia, who's favored? I think all three of those teams are better. Polls are opinions. If the goal was to crown the team with the fewest losses, you wouldn't need a poll.

Hell, Missouri would probably beat OSU by double digits and the Tigers weren't even allowed in a BCS bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted