1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the chances the BCS champion and AP champion won't be the same?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Charlie Brown, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Yep, Mustard-based started an entire thread about that a week or so ago ...

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I missed it during the holidays apparently.

For all the hype Georgia got leading into the BCS selections, with people wondering whether the Bulldogs were the class of the SEC, I wonder if the Bulldogs might get some first-place votes should LSU win. Not enough to win a national championship, mind you, but some stray first-place votes nevertheless.

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

Yes, yes, and Missouri beat Illinois, which defeated Ohio State, and also beat Arkansas, which defeated LSU. Missouri also beat Texas Tech, which defeated Oklahoma, and then Mizzou went ahead and lost twice to OU. So, in conclusion, USC should be No. 1. Or not.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The match-ups didn't help, if USC played Georgia or Oklahoma or any two of the three squared off and had an impressive win it might have been a possibility. But since all three played or are playing "damaged goods" their wins made their opponents look bad more than they made themselves look great.
    And when you look back at USC's season, their best win is ASU (bowl loser to Big12 no. 4), Georgia's is Florida (bowl loser to Big10 no. 3) and LSU's would be OSU (Big 10 no. 1), Auburn (bowl winner to ACC no. 4) and Florida, OSU's would be LSU. It's not really close as to which of the top teams had the best win(s).

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think the AP voters have it in them to unseat a No. 1-ranked team that won its bowl game, though I'm sure there's a historical precedent for it.

This argument is kind of like the steroids/baseball records/asterisks thing. If you engage in it, you'll likely never come to a conclusive answer.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No. 1 is playing No. 2...how can you vote for anyone but the winner as No. 1?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If you don't win your damn conference, or even play for your conference title, you're not a champion. Unless you win a playoff. And a two-team playoff is not proper. Even in March Madness, the ninth-place team in the Big East has to win five games to play for the national championship.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is a two-loss LSU team better than a two-loss Oklahoma or USC? That's how.

Does an undefeated Auburn team deserve to be ranked No. 1 in 2004 or shut out, simply because three undefeated teams from major conferences can't play in one game?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

As has been mentioned before, any time 1 has played 2 in a bowl, the winner ends the year No. 1...

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I wouldn't vote Ohio State No. 1 under any circumstances. I don't think the Buckeyes are better than LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia or USC. I can't PROVE it, but that's my opinion. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way. Hopefully, they vote accordingly.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Right, Jag. If the Buckeyes beat the No. 1 team and are the only one- loss team (other than Hawaii) they don't deserve to be No. 1

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, if KU wins its bowl game, it also will have one loss. But the BBOC doesn't deserve to be anywhere near No. 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted