1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some cool gifts to ask for for Christmas, etc...?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I certainly can't buy a $100,000 henhouse, but my wife would love a henhouse for Christmas. That would mean that she could have chickens, which she really wants, but we live in a 'burb that doesn't allow poultry. I would score all kinds of marriage points if I could work that out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also live with a woman who wants to raise chickens. What's the deal with that?
    And we don't live in a town and have plenty of space for them. I've been lucky to hold this off as long as I have.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My cousin raises chickens. For her birthday last year, her boyfriend built a coop in their backyard. I'm sure the thing in the N-M catalog is her dream present.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate getting money, unless I already know what the money is earmarked for... If I don't spend it on a gift for myself within the week, it winds up going toward normal incidentals...

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I just keep buying the chocolate Monopoly games until everyone on my list has that.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm good getting a hummer and a bag of licorice.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

I have the same 'problem.' I don't need anything. At all. I wish I could be a bigger man and respond to this question with something like 'hey just give a charitable donation to _______'. I usually end up with cash. Got my eye on a nice Swiss army watch that costs way too much for any one person to give me but isn't that pricey. So I can justify the purchase with a few cash/check gifts.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Really, what's up with women and chickens? I really don't get it.
    I don't want to raise chickens, but if we get chickens I guarantee you I'm going to be asked to help out with them once in a while.
    I don't want chickens.

We had a horse and two sheep for about six months last year. They belonged to a neighbor, and they grazed down most of our property, which cut down on my discing time. Fine.
    But I don't want the responsibility of raising any livestock long-term. Too much hassle.

In short, say 'no' to chickens.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Are the women in question otherwise environmentally aware. Many people raise chickens for the eggs, I believe. I also know a woman who raises chickens, but I've never asked her why. She works for a vet, so don't know if it's just her love of animals or what. Also know another woman with chickens who uses the eggs and also has a garden of fresh veggies and herbs.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Dredging up an old thread here, but instead of asking for cash, why not be specific about asking for gift cards to the store where the watch is? Let them know there is something expensive you have your eye on. It does make people feel better about a cash gift if they know that they are contributing to something specific that you want. We do this a lot in my family.

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

The girlfriend asked what I wanted last year and I told her giftcards were fine. I bought an XBOX game and a WII game.

This year, after a weeklong vacation to the beach in the summer and a three-day stay in Gatlinburg in the fall both went really really well, I told her I didn't want anything for Christmas. No games. No Hallmark cards. No Best Buy giftcards.

Just an answer. :)

(And yes, she knows it is coming. She told me she wanted Zales. And a size 7. And a princess cut. And white gold).

I delivered on all four counts when I went Black Friday shopping with my dad and my girlfriend's best friend (she is the one that hooked us up).

If she says yes, then any gift I get from anyone else at Christmas is icing on the cake.

Draft saved Draft deleted