1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some cool gifts to ask for for Christmas, etc...?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just got blindsided twice in a day as my wife and mother both asked me what I wanted for Christmas...

My birthday is also coming up and as usual, I have no freaking idea what I want. I never do, and I usually end up with gift cards, money that gets spent on something else or some other stuff that I don't want... I recognize that I am not easy to shop for.

I have an iPad, a Kindle Fire, a watch that will likely never need to be replaced, I don't travel much anymore, but it always seems like by the time someone starts this thread around Thanksgiving or so, I find myself saying, "Oh shit, I wish I had known about that..."

Curious what things people are asking for...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dawned on me today I could use a couple of sweaters. Like you, I don't need much. We draw names because there are too many of us and I usually end up with a Barnes and Noble gift card, which is fine. I love books, though I have way too many.

Two sweaters will work just fine. Thanks

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Electro Harmonix has a guitar pedal called the Ravish Sitar. At first, it might seem like a limited idea: make your guitar sound like a sitar?
    But it does a lot more. It's really cool.
    I've been wanting one for a year:

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My birthday is always around Thanksgiving, so I always have to come up with things that I want. I don't need a lot of things. If I want something, I generally buy it for myself. If it's something big, I save up the money and get it for myself. I'm very exacting about what I need in my electronics. I live in a very small apartment, so I don't have space for a lot of things. My family believes that gift cards are impersonal, but what I need is money to buy groceries and gift cards to buy clothes (I'm constantly trying to expand my wardrobe to buy more adult/professional type pieces that I can wear in an office).

My best advice is to scour Black Friday ads and see if anything appeals to you.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Go to amazon.com and create a wish list of books. Keep it updated. That way, folks can always get you something you want without having to ask.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I get the same question from my wife, and the answer is always, "I dunno." There's nothing I need, so shopping for me is a challenge. So last year I gave her two specific things that I wanted, and she came through on both of them. Here's one:

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/11/coffee-cup-gadget-charger-for-your-car/

The other was the complete NewsRadio on DVD.

Love both gifts.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like asking for iTunes cards. If you don't know what else you want, and occasionally buy apps or music, they're wonderfully handy. Just redeem them and keep the money in your iTunes account for whenever you want it.
    Last year I got four or five cards for Christmas, totaling around $100. I haven't paid for a song or app out of my own pocket all year, and I still have around $35 left.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Keep a wishlist of books you want to read around. Hand out as needed.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Yes, but they can always look at the most recent wedding registry.

I assume you just have one on file.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

My answer is always the same, since I don't really know. "Fluffy bunny slippers, size 14." I've even promised to wear them in the office, cementing my rep as a kook. Nine years, same list. No slippers.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As far as tech gizmos go, the Lytro camera looks pretty freakin' cool.

https://www.lytro.com/

Be sure to check out the gallery.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I asked if I could make Guitar Center part of our wedding registry.
    I was told 'no.'

Draft saved Draft deleted