1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What am I missing - music division?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 21, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sister Hazel's big hit "All For You" was in 1997, but they've continued to perform and release excellent albums.

These are from their 2010 album Heartland Highway.

Also, band member Drew Copeland released a solo effort in 2004 called No Regrets. I bought it on iTunes two years ago and am still listening to it regularly.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Shovels and Rope?

different direction if you didn't care for my funk-klezmer-Hebraic suggestion with Oi Va Voi.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Milk Carton Kids?

Although, I have to admit, the way Kenneth Pattengale moves around while playing makes me think he's intentionally aping David Rawlings.
    Ape David Rawlings playing = understandable
    Ape David Rawlings gesturing = annoying

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

NEEDTOBREATHE

Great band. Fuse rock, blues, R&B, southern gospel.....brothers who front the band are the sons of a minister, which often results in spiritual lyrics, but not over the top preachy by any means.

Dad also liked college football, because he named his sons "Bear" and "Bo" after. Bear was a pretty good receiver at Furman during his playing days.

I'm partial to these songs of theirs: "Keep your eyes open" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91iXRMkmFbs

"Lay 'em down" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PN-BMHi5L8

"Wanted Man" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEw3J4xtT9M

"Washed by the Water" is also not to be missed, as well as "The Reckoning"

Old Tony mentioned Sister Hazel....still one of my favorites too. so many great songs and albums since "All for You".

"World Inside My Head", "Your Mistake", "Another Me" are all terrific, introspective tunes. Ken Block is a tremendous writer.

Also, one of my favorite live performers is Will Hoge. You've probably heard his song "Even if it breaks your Heart" being butchered by the Eli Young Band. He also wrote and sings the song "Strong" that you've probably heard for last few months plastered all over TV during the Chevy Trucks commericals.

I go back with Will to 2003, when I saw him open for Vertical Horizon at my hometown club. He performed a song called "Carousel" that evening from the front of the stage sans microphone and I have been blown away ever since.

Always thought he was a hybrid Dylan/Springsteen/Petty performer.

Older stuff is terrific and more Rock-based. seems as though he has now found an audience on Country radio too, and I'm ecstatic that he is finally garnering some much-deserved credit.

one of my favorite newer songs of his, "Jesus Came to Tennessee" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5epNjjNO_s

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Mr Moddy, do we like the Blues?

If so, this is a go:

[​IMG]

Not on iTunes, but under twelve bucks elsewhere. Three disk set.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The Brian Setzer talk reminds me that Wayne Hancock might be someone to check out on iTunes to mix it up:

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've been digging on Aloe Blacc lately. His songs have been featured in a bunch of commercials.
    "Ticking Bomb" was in a Battlefield 4 ad:

"I Need a Dollar" was in some ad I can't recall; maybe a clothing store? Can't find the ad itself on You Tube:

"The Man" is in the new Beats by Dre campaign:

And his biggest hit is "Wake Me Up," which was techno-ized for the charts but is much better as a slightly-stripped down acoustic version:

8. old_tony

Have you heard the Drew Copeland solo album I mentioned? I can't say enough good things about it.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I listen to JACK FM 93.1 in LA, 102.7 here in the MD DC area. Good mix of hits.

I like songs that fire me up, get the blood moving.

Golden Earring - Twilight Zone is a favorite.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

yes sir. I'm partial to "A Little Like Heaven" and your as mentioned "I'm fine".
    "Strange Cup of Tea", from SH's "Fortress" album, is still my favorite "Drew" song though. They don't play it as much live anymore as they used to. I think I've seen more than 150 Hazel shows in my lifetime.

Great dudes. Got a couple of signed lyrics in frames from them, including "Green" when my first daughter was born.

Love those guys. Were a HUGE reason why I got back into writing about 13 years ago.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She strikes me as being like some jam bands, better live in concert than recorded in the studio. I've seen her twice now and loved the shows. But have never been hooked by her albums.

12. old_tony

Wow. That's way cool. I've seen them about four times when they make their way to the Midwest. After one of the shows they were selling and signing stuff. Being in the sports writing business I'm just not an autograph guy and I already have all the stuff, but I got to talk to Ken for about five minutes. Told him how much I appreciate their stuff, and we talked about the sacrifice that it is to be on the road a lot. Just a really great, down-to-earth guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted