1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What about your eating habits?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 11, 2006.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Plenty of seniors hitting the gym, including my 74-year-old mom. In fact, weight-lifting is highly recommended for people over 40, who naturally begin to lose muscle mass.

2. JackS

JackS Member

God bless your mom. I still think she's in a pretty small minority, but maybe I'm not hanging out in the right places. ;)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a "growing" trend. The idea is to retain some of the muscle mass that you would be losing naturally.

4. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Wicked: I think the SportsJournalists.com world can live without pictures of me sweating at the gym! LOL. And if you seen one nice calf muscles, you've seen them all.

I'll give a shout out to my buddy Passy, btw. He has great calves!

Oh, and I'll weigh in on the "strenuous weight lifting." At my gym, there are so many seniors working out -- weights and cardio -- that it's amazing. I'm amazed by this one Korean woman who is 65 years old, yet looks 45. She's in amazing shape.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I eat whatever I want -- fried chicken, catfish, big ribeyes, pasta, chicken wings, whatever -- and drink lots of beer. No cokes (sodas, pop, whatever you call it), though.

I'm about 10 pounds heavier than the Army wants me to be -- 5-7, 184 -- but not fat. I consider myself pretty healthy; I get about 5 hours of exercise each week, and today scored 90 percent on the Army's physical fitness test.

I guess it's not as bad as it seems, really. We don't eat fried foods often (won't have any this week) and get a healthy dose of veggies.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm a legs guy, ya know ... anyway, I've never heard anyone say they love legs day. I certainly don't mind it, but damn, legs day always hurts, especially when you do lunges.

Anyhoo ... on the carb debate; make the switch from white to wheat in everything -- pasta, rice, etc. It makes a huge difference. You still get the carbs, but it's fiber, not pure sugar.

I've started to take a major liking to couscous. Very filling and tasty and incredibly easy to make.

7. sheos

sheos Member

i eat babies. good nutrition, like veal

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah, I usually eat a carb-heavy lunch when I'm on my way to work. For an eight-hour shift of lifting boxes and putting out giftware, I need the extra energy.

I eat Special K in the morning before I do pilates. Small bowl, just enough to take the edge off of morning hunger. I'll eat a bowl before I go running too on my off days.

I cringe whenever Dr. J makes pasta (spinach not white) or rice for dinner. I don't need anything that heavy before I go to bed.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I agree with Junkie. Taking the pounds off slow is a good way to make sure they don't come back fast.

BTW, I thought I'd share my favorite fitness website:

http://sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp

It's got a ton of good exercises and great recipes.

10. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Cosmo: I don't know why I like legs days. I agree with you, most days I leave barely able to walk, but I like the burn, I guess! Probably because I can see the results there better. (well, except for the biceps, those are easy)

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Not true, Jack. If you go during the work day, you can see a lot of seniors on the treadmill and that sort of stuff. The seniors just don't want to be bothered with pests like you... :)

just kidding about the pests remark. But I have seen a lot of older people at the Y where I work out.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I find that shooting smack keeps my weight down. But I suffer in the hygiene department.

Draft saved Draft deleted