1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a week ... and it's only Wednesday!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is this one of the goofiest news weeks in recent memory?
    In the span of four days, we've had:
    * Pete Carroll leaving for the NFL and Lane Kiffin leaving Tennessee to replace him at USC -- two major coaching changes, both more or less out of the blue
    * One of the wildest playoff games in NFL history
    * The Leno-Conan debacle. Again, seemingly out of the blue
    * A major earthquake in Haiti, a place not known for such disasters
    * Freezing weather and even snow in the deep south
    * Charles Woodson and Peyton Manning winning major NFL awards in the same week, 12 years after their Heisman duel
    * Mark McGwire coming clean about his steroid use -- once again, out of nowhere (even if it was expected before spring training)
    * Some mystery object whizzing past the Earth on Wednesday

Just seems like one of the oddest, most random and surprise assortments of news I can remember in a long, long time. And we've got four days to go before it's over! Tomorrow afternoon, I fully expect the mystery object to be revealed as a Martian space probe.

2. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I've thought the NYT A1 for the last few days has been relatively boring. But it has been a fun sports week.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Batman, How could you leave out Simon Cowell announcing he's bailing on Idol?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And no mention of the Brown-Coakley Senate race in Mass., the best political story of the week.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No politics, dammit! ;D

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does out of nowhere means the media didn't get to speculate on rumors about it for two weeks prior to it happening, meaning the media is out of the loop?

I wouldn't call the Leno/Conan debacle out of the blue. That's been percolating since before Leno started at 10 p.m.

The McGwire stuff has been coming since he agreed to take the coaching job with the Cardinals.

Freezing weather happens every winter.

Haiti has a crisis every year.

The Lane Kiffin stuff is exacerbated and exaggerated by all the media outlets these days. What it boils down to is a coach taking a new job.

I'm not in awe of this week.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Jeez, man. Why don't you grab a bag of Skittles and chill out for a while.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now Skittles I would be in awe of.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn. Now I gotta go get a bag of Skittles from the vending machine. Those things are a lil bit money.

Edit: No Skittles in the vending machine. I should report them to the authorities. That's damn near criminal.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

TSP, "out of nowhere" for the coaching changes means it didn't follow the usual cycle. Typically someone leaves a job, several candidates are bandied about for a few days, and one is hired. The whole Mora-Carroll-Kiffin thing didn't follow that pattern. Mora was fired after one season; Carroll, although there are plenty of apparent reasons, left a cushy job at USC; and Kiffin was hired the next day after one season at Tennessee. That's not normal.

We had something like 60 straight hours of sub-freezing weather here. Yes it gets cold, but not for that long. They had snow in central and southern Florida for chrissakes.

The Leno-Conan debacle is more bizarre than out of the blue I suppose, what with both guys taking shots at each other and NBC on their respective shows.

I said McGwire's admission was expected at some point. Just that it came on a Monday afternoon in January was odd. You might expect that on the first day of spring training.

And Haiti has crises, but an earthquake? A 7.3 earthquake!?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Skittles paid me in Skittles to make the above post. I am SJ's first product endorser!

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Sonner's new theme song:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted