1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a way to screw up a daughter's birthday.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hackcrack, Jun 2, 2010.

1. hackcrack

hackcrack Member

So the kids are doing their yardwork for an allowance with a neighbor lady. They come upon about four bunnies, probably no more than a month old...hair but not much bigger head to toe than your finger. Well, the lady's dachshund came upon them too and my daughter heard the squeal from one. The dog dropped it and ran and she got to it, picked it up and it's still hanging on to life. She comes up to me as I get home and begs me to take her to a vet. She's seen those Animal Channel shows where vets or I guess the Humane Society takes care of abused or neglected animals, even those unclaimed, and figured, they'd help the bunny. Hell, what was I to do other than get in the car and go to the vet. Well, naturally, the vet of choice was out of the office and they wouldn't look at it unless we were paying for it. So we took off for the next one near us. I looked at it as we got back into the car and it was taking deep, but infrequent gasps. I knew what was about to happen.

And before we could make it to the next vet, the bunny checked out on us. We came home, found a spot to bury it, had a brief service, and then went on to resume my daughter's birthday after she had quit crying about a half-hour later.

Damn bunny. Sucker was cute too.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn. That dampened MY day and all I did was read about it. Sorry you and your daughter had to go thru this, Hack.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I once ran over a bunny while mowing the lawn. Does that negate my choice of beverage, even though I didn't do it on purpose? I really think it should improve my 'Net cred.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We have bunnies out the wazoo here. They're everywhere. I hate to think what's going on under my porch.
    Every now and then, one of them runs smack into the path of one of my dogs. It ain't pretty. Shit happens.

Never chopped one up with the mower, though. An interesting kind of mulch. Sounds a little messy, too.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, I witnessed one bad-ass bunny that was tired of this victim shit. A cat was sneaking up on it in the garden of the church next door. I was pretty sure I was about to witness Mother Nature's cruelty when the rabbit gets hip to what's going on. Does he run? Yep. Right at the cat, which was freaked out that it took off.

Score one for the bunnies, via the Chuck Norris of rabbit-dom.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You just don't see that many rabbits around here any more, or so it seems. Buttloads of squirrels and armadillos, though.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The dog caught a bird a few weeks ago.... picked it out of midair as it was taking off... I won't let him near birds any more while they feed on the lawn. He can, however, look out the door, see a squirrel and when I let him out to pee, ignore it just a few feet away.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Right before that happened, the bunny took a quick glance at the viewing audience and said, "Of course you know, this means war."

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The rabbit in question?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Last week I ran over a bird with the mower. Twice. But it was dead before I got it the first time.

And when I was a kid, I remember our neighbor's seemingly adorable dalmatian getting hold of a yard bunny and destroying it. I think my parents were more freaked out that I had seen it, than I was having seen it. As a 7-year-old I probably didn't understand what was actually happening.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No bunny incidents but I once saw a squirrel brain itself in traffic. His two buddies made it past the car in front of me but he didn't quite make it. From my POV, it looked as though the squirrel hit his head on the left rear tire. Then he bounced off the tire and landed on his back with his feet sticking straight up. It was like a cartoon. And I had to pull over because I started laughing so hard, I couldn't see.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That story was so wrong. It broke my heart. Sorry, hack.

My girlfriend grew up in a fairly rural part of France and her family farmed for their food and raised rabbits. Every so often, they'd head out, grab a rabbit, kill it and cook it up. It was a fairly normal part of their lives.

I'm a vegetarian. The whole thought of it freaks me out. When she was going back last summer for a visit and she told me she was looking forward to her mom's rabbit, I kept making sad eyes and asking her to spare the poor "bunny wabbit." Hearing her say "bunny" with her accent, was funny, but I didn't succeed in making her feel bad enough to not eat one. But then again, she can look at a pigeon in the park and see squab (not really, but I joke around by chasing the pigeons and saying, "A little butter, a little garlic. Yum yum yum.")

It's so wrong to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted