1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a shock: Hollywood pushing back at "The Sniper"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Theater was packed when I went. Wide demographic. My sense upon hearing comments leaving theatre was that many did not
    know the ending and that it was a true story .

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience. Crowded theater, which is not common for a matinee where I live. I think people knew it was a true story, but had forgotten that he was killed.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How were the scenes where he shot 30 people from the roof of the Superdome and killed the two robbers at the gas station?

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He was no Seth Rogen.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if those stories and the Ventura one were a result of PTSD and not shameless lies to sell books.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know it was a true story and felt foolish for not knowing. I just didn't. Thought it was a heckuva movie.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if the movie includes the scene where he kills two carjackers and the police let him drive away after they realize what a badass he is.

In the Crosshairs - The New Yorker

8. Mr. Sunshine

Speaking of PTSD. This is about more than Kyle, and it's a very good read.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Michael Moore @MMFlint · Jan 18
    My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

Michael Moore @MMFlint · 21h21 hours ago
    But if you're on the roof of your home defending it from invaders who've come 7K miles, you are not a sniper, u are brave, u are a neighbor.

Michael Moore @MMFlint · 7h7 hours ago
    Hmm. I never tweeted 1word bout AmericanSniper/ChrisKyle. I said my uncle killed by sniper in WWII; only cowards would do that 2 him, others

10. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, total coincidence.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a fantastic piece.

12. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I've often wondered, as well, whether the lies Kyle told were the product of PTSD or simply struggling to adjust to life as a civilian after 4 tours as the Devil of Ramadi.

Perhaps it's my nature to forgive the sins of the military, but I can imagine it's a difficult transition, going from saving your brothers' lives daily to being home and trying to find the meaning in a far more mundane life.

Of course, the fact that he was a war hero doesn't preclude the possibility that he was simply a liar who made shit up to make himself look like even more of a badass.

Draft saved Draft deleted