1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a chicken

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Chick-Fil-A is great, but you can get sick of it if you eat too much. It's true, it's true.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've only eaten there once, but it was very good. I just might go back sometime.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

On a totally different note...the title of this thread (What a Chicken) actually used to be a pretty tasty sandwhich at Whataburger too, back in the mid 1990s. Now it's just okay. I think they changed chicken providers somewhere along the way.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I've never had Whataburger.

I agree that Chick-fil-A is a great place.

It's not the greatest food, but they allow you to substitute a fruit cup for fries. You can manage a nutritious meal. You can't do that at most fast-food chains. Also, they have play areas at some of the restaurants. So that makes it nice for parents, who don't have to eat McDonald's crap just so their kids can play.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I've met Cathy before when he came to AMS and led the Sunday morning infield service (he normally teaches a teenage boys Sunday school class at his church). He seemed like a really nice old guy who really does stand behind his suggestion for the need of family time.

6. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

The Chicken Biscuit is the ideal breakfast.

You've got to respect the man's values. He doesn't open on Sundays and if you know anything about Southern culture you know he could boost sales by a third by cashing in on the post-church crowd and NFL football tailgaters.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if the Chick-Fil-A Bowl has ever been on a Sunday.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

We were out of milk and eggs this morning. So I hit Chick-fil-A on the way to the market. That chicken biscuit is damn good. In fact, I swiped the jalapeno salsa that was to go on my son's sausage and egg burrito. I dumped that stuff on my biscuit. I'd rather eat that every morning than the Egg Beaters I had Friday. I got a fruit cup, too. And the coffee wasn't bad.

Those biscuits, though, aren't the best. They're a little starchy, almost like a hamburger bun. I think I might prefer the biscuits from Hardee's. I haven't had a meal there in ages, but I recall that they have some good biscuits, especially the ones with raisins and icing.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

One of my few regrets about not being a morning person is not getting Chik-fil-A breakfast.

I've always thought that Chik-fil-A could rake in money by somehow devising a way to sell the chicken biscuits in a way that you could buy them on, say, Saturday night and take them home to heat up the next morning. In the days when I went to church, it was always insanely irritating to want Chik-fil-A and not be able to get it. I respect the hell out of Truett Cathy for doing what he does. I just wish he was a Seventh-Day Adventist or something.

10. calibretto

calibretto Member

don't live close enough to a chick-fil-a to have tried their morning food but i do love their original chicken sandwich. as for me, the best fast food breakfast sandwich to have graced my lips is carl's jr.'s breakfast burger.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

One other thing, it's not a horrible business decision, either.

When I worked in fast food getting myself through college -- at a high-volume McD's -- Sunday was a *dead* day. We usually had one minor rush where we were busy, usually for about 10-15 minutes after the nearby churches let out. The rest of the day drew about as much business as one hour of lunch. Keeping the doors open on Sunday was not a money-making proposition -- especially in the evening.

But to keep the doors open, a fast food place must have at least 4-5 staffers running (1-2 in the grill, 1 on the front counter, 1-2 running the drive thru). Even at minimum wage, you're looking at $30-40/hour in labor costs. You also seem to waste more product when you're not drawing customers.

To hire a staff for 6 days/week means you 1) guarantee every staffer a weekend day off, and 2) don't have to hire as many people. If I want to have breakfast/lunch covered for 6 days with an average of 10 people, I need to hire 12 full-timers to cover those shifts -- with two folks off each day. If I need to have breakfast/lunch covered for 7 days with an average of 10 people, I need to hire 14 full-timers, because I have one more day I have to staff and therefore spread days off to (even if we have a skeleton crew working Sunday, I still have to have an extra handful of people to keep the doors open).

(another company, the crafting/hobby/fabric/frou-frou crap superstore Hobby Lobby, has a similar "closed on Sundays" policy).

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A McDonald's on a college campus should be a license to print money. The dorms and Greek houses don't serve dinner on Sundays. The Mickey D's on the Mizzou campus was wall-to-wall people on Sundays.

Draft saved Draft deleted