1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a $200/Barrel World Looks Like

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 1, 2008.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Ragu: You're obviously a smart dude, and I like reading what you write. ...

But please, paragraphs! Compound sentences! :)

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're Ted Nugent, right?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joel, Point taken. *laugh* In case, you are wondering, which I have a feeling you are, I don't write like that when I am not pounding things out on a message board. That is basically head right to fingers. It's how I would be talking... and I know it makes for tough-to-read stuff on a message board. I'll try to break things up more.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tred Barta.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good points lost in paragrahphs a mile long. You need to use the bullet point tool.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Ragu: Other than the very long paragraph, I actually understood that.

I'm not very smart. It's not easy to get me to understand something like this. So, thank you.

7. The Big Ragu

I prefer the bull it way.

8. Boom_70

The cynical voice in my head is telling me that Goldman is trying to manipulate the market so that they can sell the oil futures contracts they and their clients are now holding.

They did the same thing in the sub prime melt down. They were a seller long before the bubble burst and left a lot of other investment banks holding the bag. Goldman is one of the few firms that made money this year.

They are a bunch of sharp but ruthless people that I would not trust one bit for advise unless I was a big client. At its core Goldman is out to make money for it's partners. I would love to see if they are holding major short positions. in oil futures.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Bullitt points?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. The Big Ragu

The analyst's name is Arjun Murti. He made his name a few years ago by predicting a longer-term $105 a barrel when oil was at around $50. He was the first on a trend that became more and more discernible. The guy is just an analyst, not Lex Luther. And he may be the most press-shy guy you will ever meet. He isn't manipulating anything. He is making predictions based on economic factors. Plus, you can't manipulate markets by putting out research reports signaling a high price to every yahoo who sits around and watches Fox News all day. How exactly does Goldman make money on that?

You have made assertions like that on various threads, Boom. For once, give me some specifics about how anyone can manipulate the oil market -- which means fooling the whole institutional investing world into not realizing what they are doing -- and how they can make money on their manipulation, which in this case means telling the world that you think the price of oil is going to get higher (something Murti has been right about since at least 2005, given that we blew right through $105 a barrel. His track record suggests, "analyst who knows what he is talking about, and making people money LEGALLY," not "guy artificially manipulating something and doing illegal things").

11. Boom_70

Boy are you naive in the ways of Wall Street. Every hear of a lowly analysts name Henry Blodgett?

12. So can I just start buying it by the barrel?

Draft saved Draft deleted