1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wharton School of Business says Clemens' agents are full of crap

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Feb 10, 2008.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Sorry if this is a d_b, but some biz profs at Penn studied that ridiculous 18,000 word statistical analysis put out by the Hendricks brothers that was supposed to show that the Rocket's late-career improvement wasn't unusual, and they very calmly and rationally pronounced it to be a bunch of shit. I particularly enjoyed seeing a couple of pompous baseball agents attempt to get into a statistical debate with Wharton School faculty. Talk about being out of your league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3239471

The salient points:

"What [the Clemens camp] said in their report is indefensible as a matter of statistics," Wolfers said. "The statistics do not point to innocence. We are not saying that the numbers show guilt, but we are saying that the statistics show that something unusual happened in Clemens' career as he entered his 30s."

...and

"What they are doing is a good example of lying with statistics."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I believe Baseball Think Factory (or was it Hardball Times?) also had a very rational debunking of all the fancy charts and stats in the report that essentially were full of shit.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can lie with statistics? Really?

4. Can 3 out of four dentists be wrong?

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I thought it was 4 out of 5 dentists... Statistics gone wrong again!

Draft saved Draft deleted