1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whale Wars - WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Paper Dragon, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Anyone watch this show on Animal Planet? Now I know why Republicans hate liberals - because they think we're all like these sappy douchebags.

I mean, I like whales as much as the next guy, but the fanaticism with whales goes so far that I'm convinced I could go up to any of the women aboard that boat and say, "Hey, let's do it for the whales" - and they would ask me which hole Mobey wants to go in.

I kind of admire the cause, but the people on board are complete idiots. I especially hate the captain, who has been fighting for the whales so long that he's lost all sanity. The guy is claiming the Japanese just happened to fire a round into his protective vest during a skirmish. Bull. Shit. It was a total media stunt, just like when he ordered his crew to board a Japanese boat and then turned around and claimed they were kidnapped. Bull. Shit.

OK. Rant over.

Do it for the whales!

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn, secret's out.

Awesome.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Watched it tonight and thought the same thing. A single round, a perfect shot, that hits the captain right smack in his vest AND a badge he was wearing? No frackin' way. The look on the one lady's face tonight when they saw whales was priceless. She was like a three-year-old.

I love how they throw liquids onto a boat deck and act like that doesn't create a dangerous situation. Then the Japanese shipmen throw exploding charges, and they freak.

What about the episode where the first mate made clear to these self-righteous bozos that they should not party until they reach land, and they did so anyway? Then when the first mate brought a message from the captain that if you are committed mto the cause, you will not drink, these idiots bitched about it. Why are they there? To party? To see whales? Or to save whales?

I want the whales to survive too. I think it's utter crap when the whalers act like they're doing research. But when these dunces raise their flag (very similar to a stereotypical pirate flag), they're asking to get shot. And you bet it would be interesting to see their reaction if a whale was slaughtered in front of them.

No good guys here. But it does make for riveting television.

4. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

And they're so completely inept - launching boats, breaking helicopters, talking to each other on the damn radio - that I remain suspicious about how they managed to stumble upon the mother ship. I can't help but wonder if they got a little help in order to make it riveting television.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

There was one I saw the other day where the radar/comm guy had no experience whatsoever prior to applying to get aboard that funship. At the launching of the latest voyage, the cast still on the dock resembled every hippie stereotype imaginable.

Sometimes I watch this show and wonder if the whales would more likely be saved if a rogue Starfleet commander captaining a Klingon warship came down and beamed them aboard.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Double dumbass on the Sea Shepherds.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have a friend who is whale crazy. Actually works a real life job trying to save whales all day. But then again, I don't know what else you do with a zoology degree.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

First show I've ever watched in which I hate both the protagonist and the antagonist.

Draft saved Draft deleted