1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whaddya mean ya don't tip?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. slytiger

slytiger Member

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. slytiger

slytiger Member

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My day's fine.

A word of advice. If you ever come back from Central America, I'd recommend you not try that little trick in North American restaurants. Smacks of Hicksville.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Who cares what they do in Europe. Our system is fine. It performance based.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, it's entirely arbitrary which is different than performance based.

Never rely on the kindess of strangers, Boom.

8. slytiger

slytiger Member

What would you suggest $50 $100? Nothing wrong with giving money up front. Most service professionals will agree.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No they wouldn't agree at all. I know enough restaurant owners and people who work in the biz to guarantee that statement.

The idea of trying to slip the front of house a bribe is patently ridiculous----not to mention offensive.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

so when they hand you the menu, you give them $20? I've never heard of that....

11. slytiger

slytiger Member

It's not a bribe it's a tip. The term Tips is an acronym "to ensure prompt service" but it's transformed into an excuse for restaurateurs to not provide a living wage.

I guess our experiences are different but being on both sides as a waiter and a diner it works much better than the service charge being added to the bill.

I'll continue to offend until it's refused.

12. slytiger

slytiger Member

I picked it up from an old bookie I trained under, he would take care of the waiter with a little something up front and then tip handsomely after.

Draft saved Draft deleted