1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whaddya mean ya don't tip?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I don't eat at enough high-end restaurants. For me, the height of good service is if they give me my sweet tea with no lemon when I ask.

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I got two words for that: Learn to fucking type.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Same reason you'll normally pay a larger real estate fee if you sell a house for $700,000 versus one for $100,000.

If you hire a customs broker, they're going to charge a lot more for clearing a shipment worth $1,000,000 versus one that's $10,000.

There are lots of fees that are based on the monetary value of the exchange. Tipping is just one of them.

And in my experience a restaurant where dinner for two costs $200.00 hires staff that are professional servers, trained sommeliers and experienced cooks. It's not quite the same as getting a plate of nachos from some teenager at Applebee's.

And I agree with Cran about breakfast. HC normally buys breakfast but she'll always leave a big time tip on the $5.00 breakfast special---the endless coffee refill keeps the waitresses hopping

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had the riblets at Applebees last Friday - we had a coupon - and they were pretty tasty.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The one thing that did change my mind about tipping (at least a little bit) was when I used to have a part time job delivering pizza. Sometimes we'd get slammed with orders and had only 1 or 2 drivers working so some people got their pizza a little later than our standard "30 minutes." They would be pissy about it and take it out on the driver by not tipping us. But it was not the drivers fault at all that they got their food late. If anything, it was the fault of management for not having enough drivers on duty.

So now when I get shitty service at a restaurant, I try to determine if it is in fact the fault of the waiter or not. There's a good chance it could be the fault of someone in the kitchen fucking things up so it wouldn't be fair to stiff the waiter.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Normally, I tip well. If I got the kind of service these kids said they got, I'd call a manager over and tell him or her why I don't believe I should pay a tip. If the manager offered to comp the meal, then it's on the kids. If not, it's on the restaurant.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't mind tipping for good service, generally 15 to 20 per cent. And I don't even expect much for it to qualify as "good service" - don't leave me waiting around forever once I've been seated, be polite, don't act like it's an inconvenience to be there, get my order right and stop by at least once after the food is delivered to make sure everything is okay.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I generally tip 20 percent, barring anything dramatically bad that can be pinned solely on the wait staff. And even then, it's maybe a dollar, $1.50 difference between 20 and what I'd give them. The effect of an unusually big or small tip isn't that much on a $15 meal.

9. slytiger

slytiger Member

Depending on the restaurant and the occasion I'll tip upfront. A $20 before you sit down usually guarantees you'll be taken care of.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

the irony in my experience is that, while the waiting staff deserves the biggest tip for the work that goes into serving big parties, that IN GENERAL the food/service at such events sucks. may be no way around it or no fault of their own.

give the shockeys and another couple a splendid dinner for four with great service, and you all will be tipped at least 20 perecent, no prob.

forced to pay 18. 18 is what you'll get. NEVER have i left such an establishment thinking either the food or service merited more.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So what do you do if you go to a nice resatuarant where your bill is well over 200 bucks?

12. slytiger

slytiger Member

Tip afterwards obviously but the money upfront avoids bad service. I do 20% unless the service is garbage, if it's garbage you have to let maitre'd know so they can make amends or at least understand the poor tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted