1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whaddya mean ya don't tip?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If they'd just accept Dave and Buster's gift cards like any good restaurant, this wouldn't have been an issue.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

With mandatory tips, there is no incentive to give superior service.
    There's also a chance for a double tip, as some diners don't realize a gratuity was already added and they tip again, especially when separate bills are involved.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I adore your random Sunnyisms.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Figured as much. If it was Philly, the waitress would have harangued the customers with insults, the cook would have threatened them with a meat cleaver, and the owner would have thrown beer on them as they walked out the door.

5. Big Circus

Anything can be related to Always Sunny. This story was just begging for it.

Tonight is a huge night for me - I'm off on a Thursday night for the first time in recent memory. I will actually watch Sunny live (well, not like the Nightman tour, but you get the idea) for the first time in my life. I'm giddy with anticipation.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The thing I don't get about tipping is why should it be based off of how much the bill is?

Example: You and I go out to eat. I order a $25 steak meal that is served on one plate. You order a $5 hamburger that also comes on one plate. Why whould I have to tip 5 times as much as you? The waiter did not have to do any more work for my order than they did for yours. They are bringing the same amount of plates to you as they are to me. The tip I choose to leave shouldn't be based on the restaurants ripoff prices.

Tips are just the restaurants way of saying "why should we pay our waiters when we can just have our customers do it for us?" By brining me my food, the waiter is not going out of their way and doing something special just for me. They are doing their freakin job.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Excellent point. Does the waitperson at a diner not work as hard as the waitperson at Morton's? Do the dishes weigh less at breakfast than they do at dinner? I've never understood this, which is probably why I way over-tip at breakfast. You're going to get at least $5 from me even if all you do is bring over some toast and o.j.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

In theory, you're getting better service with pricier food. They're doing more for that tip -- making food/wine pairing recommendations, working with the chef for unique requests, that sort of thing. It's not by chance that some wait staffers are working Ruth's Chris while others are working Denny's.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd much rather watch Sunny on DVR so I can fly through the commercials, occasionally stopping to watch a teaser for next week's show. Live TV is overrated except for sports. If you watch sports on DVR, you suck. :)

10. Big Circus

TV shows are much better on DVR, no question there. Tonight is more of a novelty thing for me than anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure they do, and they deserve their names in the newspaper as well.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In theory, yes. In reality, not very often.

Draft saved Draft deleted