1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whaddya mean ya don't tip?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The article says it was stated on the menu. If you don't want to agree to that, don't eat there.

That said, the business is idiotic for taking the publicity hit.

3. JR

JR Active Member

Lots of restaurants have a mandatory service charge, particularly on parties of six or more.

North American restaurants should adopt the European model: a service charge (15% last time I checked) is added to each bill. You tip (rarely) for extraordinary service.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds.

[​IMG]

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Cough up a buck, ya cheap bastard.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

while the fee for 6 or more is a crock and arresting them is absurd, they should've gone elsewhere since the fee was stated on the menu. that said, the restaurant certainly got more than $16 worth of bad p.r.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

In NYC this summer, a mandatory 18 percent tip was added to every check at all times of the day.

How about just raising prices and paying the wait staff properly and not mask it under a forced tip? Nooooo, that would make too much sense!

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that. Raising prices sucks, and regular diners notice those things. Tips just don't seem to elicit the same feelings; they're almost like tax. Just shrug and pay it. Unless perhaps you have an experience like the kids in Philly.

9. JR

JR Active Member

The reason is simple. Larger parties are labour intensive and studies show that there's a greater chance of larger groups lowballing on a tip.

I've heard horror stories (and this is a first rate restaurant with professional serving people, not some kids from high school) about a $40.00 tip on a $600.00 meal for 10 people.

As I said, it's standard practice in all of Europe but there folks working in restaurants are considered professionals and are paid a living wage.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That would probably involve appropriately paying your employees rather than expecting your customers to subsidize their meager paychecks, which is something I don't think is particularly palatable to the American restaurant industry.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've got to think that when they "agreed" to pay the gratuity by ordering, these guys were expecting to actually get something for their money. They waited an hour for food and had to get their own refills and napkins. That sounds like stuff the waitress should have been doing, instead of taking a smoke break and just expecting to get her tip for bringing the check.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Just a little quibble - this didn't happen in Philadelphia. It was in Bethlehem, which is a good hour or so from the city.

Draft saved Draft deleted