1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WH: Not ruling out attack on Iran

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jan 14, 2007.

1. And, of course, they're lying about the imminence of the threat, too.
    The one real advantage we have in Iran now is that a lot of the young people are sick of the mullahs. There's a real bubbling-under that we should greatly encourage, the way we encouraged Solidarity in Poland and Havel in Prague. Start bombing them now, and we lose that, possibly forever.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Awwwww, Fen, you're no fun. Can I nuke 'em now, daddy? Can I? Can I?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nixon bombed and invaded Cambodia while telling everyone he was leaving Vietnam.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

or, if we bomb iran now, we may piss off some of the anti-government people they have now, and then what do we have? i say do what we are doing right now with iran..impose sanctions, make sure their prez continues to ignore his citizens, and then they will vote his ass out or have a coup on their own.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Obviously, any escalation of our military operation should simultaneously include Iran, Syria, Libya, France, Italy, the UK, Canada, Radio City Music Hall and Bill Belichick's house.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The ESPN campus wouldn't hurt, either.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I pick this quote not to start an argument with AQB, but to bring up what I feel is a legit point. So please, let's keep the insults to a minimum...

Since when did we get named the nation that has both the authority and the mandate to police virtually every other emerging nuclear power on the planet? Since when did it become automatic that if an emerging nation started developing nukes, we have the authority to go in and stop them, by force, if necessary?

Imagine if the U.S. were the third- or fourth-most-powerful nation on the planet but the guys ahead of us had a weapon we didn't. As we try to develop our own version of that weapon, the big guys take it upon themselves to invade, to slap us down and wave their finger at us saying "No!"

I'm not saying I want Iran to have nuclear weapons ... far from it. But am I willing to sacrifice hundreds or thousands of American lives to try and stop them by force, especially when it's likely they'd develop the weapons anyway? And why stop at nukes when there's dozens of other ways they could kill mass amounts of people at once, many of them easier to keep hidden while in development?

It's fine to play the world's policeman, but if there aren't more cops on the beat or more precincts surrounding us, then we're just walkin' those streets alone.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%, to some extent we have been, but not enough, but why would they be upset by a targeted strike of nuclear facilities?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The nation seems to consider the nuclear program a source of national pride.

And F_B, the young people have been sick of the regime for a long time. No one's risen up, even when they had a relative reformer as president.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think and hope that they are different factions. If their revolutionary mood is dependant on nukes, we can't support them.

Draft saved Draft deleted