1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wetzel again blasts the BCS for some fuzzy math

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kickoff-time, Dec 1, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oregon-Boise would be 64-63 or 63-62, depending on if the team scoring on the last play of the game made or missed the 2-point attempt.

2. Situation

Situation Member

Totally agree. And I'm guessing LSU-Alabama wouldn't be the title game.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look at the first round matchups from those 16 games. Pretty good, huh? That's why the powers that be don't want a playoff. Too much competition. Threatens the money, threatens the coaches' reps, threatens the conference cable network deals.
    Deep down, the people who run college football are complete useless cowards.

4. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful, but unfortunately the powers that be in college football want to keep an even larger portion of the pie and we seem headed toward something that gives schools like Boise State, Houston, etc. even less of a chance of getting into a BCS bowl.

Really as much as people don't want the government to get involved it might such a measure for a playoff system. Antitrust might be a good first step.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You missed the point completely.

There are haves and have nots in sports. Do you support professional sports? Are the antitrust exemptions there to prevent them from, what was the term? "monopolistic restraint of trade"?

It's not a level playing field. Why does it need to be?

If some argue against the "everyone gets a ribbon!!!" mentality of youth sports, why should we expect college sports to give everyone an equal chance?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Piotr, again you miss the point. The built-in advantages of the big schools' budgets and situations will always exist. They don't always do those schools much good, but they'll always be around. The big schools win the basketball tournament every year. But they have to play all comers to do it. The big college football powers are yellow. They're monopolists. And they have a position that is completely indefensible if you try to use logic instead of buzzwords from political jargon.

7. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Michael, I agree. The big powers that run college football don't care at all about equality. They have the knives and divvy the pieces of roast beef. They will share some scraps if necessary (getting a non-BCS team into a BCS bowl) but would rather keep the tastiest and biggest pieces for themselves.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK, Mr. "monopolistic restraint of trade."

Anyway, I understand what you are trying to say.

I just don't care. The "Little guys" get to compete in the NCAA Tournament. How often do they reach the Final Four?

I know, I know . . . "VCU LAST YEAR!!!!! BUTLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And?

Who has won the last decade of titles?

Duke, Maryland, Syracuse, Connecticut, North Carolina, Florida, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke Connecticut.

Their opponents?

Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Illinois, UCLA, Ohio State, Memphis, Michigan State . . . Butler, Butler.

Let's not allow the anamoly that is Butler to let us act like there's some kind of NCAA hoops system that doesn't end with the big boys winning it all anyway.

Their advantages are too decisive. And that's how it's going to stay.

And I have better things to get upset about.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

About as illogical as Georgetown and St. John's playing for the 1985 Big East basketball title, and 3 weeks later Villanova playing for the national title.

Give enough undeserving teams enough chances to get hot, and anything can happen.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A 16-team playoff can be started tomorrow -- and still preserve the bowls. Ego, power and greed won't allow it.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's my points, I don't care how they played "down the stretch." How did the play from April -August? Why play 162-game regular season because only the final month matters?
    How did Tony Stewart race from Daytona-Bristol or there about? Not real well. He fired his crew chief, got hot and won a championship over a 10-race sprint.
    March Madness is bullshit. A team like Butler or James Mason doesn't have any business playing for a "national championship." Yes, they can get hot, win a few games, get a few breaks, beat anybody on a given day, but over the course of a season, they'd be lower half in most major leagues.
    I'm not arguing for or against any particular system. I'm just arguing for picking a system, going with it and enjoying the show, whatever that may be. No system is perfect and no system other than round robin gives you a true champion.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fascinating. I don't think I've ever heard a true anti-POSTSEASON argument like Shoeless Joe just made.

At least, not in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted