1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wetzel again blasts the BCS for some fuzzy math

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kickoff-time, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oh, spare me.

Seriously?

TCU is in a mediocre conference.

Boise State's athletic budget isn't a fraction of Ohio State's.

Sports aren't fair. The big boys run the show. That's not going to change.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

So we shouldn't even play a championship game by your logic. Just determine who had the best regular season. Any kind of playoff would potentially reward a team that achieved less prior to the playoff.

I think NCAA basketball lets too many teams in. I think everybody who has a legitimate argument should be in and you need some "cushion" below those teams to make sure you got them all in.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

A very capitalistic argument

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, it's not capitalistic at all. It's AGAINST free market competition and for monopolistic restraint of trade. It might be servile bootlicking of power, but it's not an argument for capitalism.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why not let conferences have their regional/divisional championships, but then run a national football tournament along with it? Like the FA Cup in soccer.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Sounds a lot like our current economic structure. Keeping government interference out of free trade is a fundamental of capitalism. There is no interference in the BCS, so those who have the money (and power) are free to use it. The little guys just need to try harder.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've noticed, but Utah, TCU and Boise State have done the "try harder" argument. Got two of the three into BCS conferences, but that doesn't change the fact that no matter what they did, once the season began, there wasn't a thing they could do that would've earned them a shot at a BCS championship. Not one.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't say not play a playoff. It's all about playing the games. I just say, in my opinion, all national championships are really mythical without a round robin format. Winning your conference should be more important because you've come out as the best among a group that has played one another.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear NMMets. It is not free trade when a system automatically gives rewards to one entity and not another without letting both entities compete on even terms. It's a rigged system. No government interference? The "government" of the BCS has no purpose but to interfere with competition. You gotta stop listening to talk radio.

10. Situation

Situation Member

What does conference affiliation and budget have to do with what happens on the field of play? Why even play the games then? Just hand the crystal ball to Ohio State every year.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Of course, schools such as Ohio State and Texas are always going to have much bigger athletic budgets than a Sun Belt, Conference USA or MAC team. This is true in basketball as well.

In the NCAA basketball tournament at least there is the chance a Butler can play for the national title. Usually the non-BCS teams win a few games and you still have the majority of Final Four teams from the BCS leagues.
    The Big East gets 10 teams in and the SWAC one.

The way the FBS is set up, a team from the MAC, Conference USA even the Mountain West has to go perfect and even this year if Boise was perfect there would be a huge debate about whether they were worthy. The BCS conferences (really only the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12) dominate the pie.

I would love to see a 16-team playoff with the conference champions plus at-large bids.

If you are the 17th best team, you still get to go to your bowl just as you would now.

Actually, the Pirate, Mike Leach, says go to a 64-team playoff and why not? The bowls are seen by many as "meaningless exhibitions" anyway.

12. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

The Cardinals won 90 games - despite no Wainwright and stretches where they had no Pujols or Holliday -- and got in because they played great down the stretch. If they weren't that good, they wouldn't have won three straight series against the two teams with the best records in the NL and the team with the second-best record in the AL. That's what sports is supposed to be about. If the Phillies and Yankees were so fucking great, they should have stepped up and won the games that counted the most. They had that opportunity and they blew it.

And that's the point about the BCS. The large majority of schools have NO chance to play for a title. It's the exact opposite of what makes March Madness so special. At this point, why should LSU have to beat Alabama again? They've already done it, right? But if you put the Top 16 in a playoff, after cutting out those stupid conference championship games, you'd really have something. Here's your field. Play the games and see how it falls out. It would be incredible.

1 LSU 12-0
    2 Alabama 11-1
    3 Oklahoma State 10-1
    4 Stanford 11-1
    5 Virginia Tech 11-1
    6 Arkansas 10-2
    7 Houston 12-0
    8 Oregon 10-2
    9 Boise State 10-1
    10 Michigan State 10-2
    11 Georgia 10-2
    12 Oklahoma 9-2