1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Western Washington eliminates football program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

http://wwuvikings.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010809aaa.html

I knew the program was having problems, not the least of which was the lack of suitable (Div. II) competition in geographically acceptable range. Having to go to Minnesota and North Dakota for games doesn't cut it. Playing some of the BC schools could have helped.

Still, for someone who worked in that market, it's sort of sad to see.

The AD's statement strikes me as ass-backwards. Yes, football is more expensive, by far, than any other sport. But don't try to sound high-minded that you are chopping football in order to save women's crew.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That sucks, I had a bunch of guys who I played with in high school who played at WWU. They were a pretty solid team.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Atlanta Falcons punter Michael Koenen is an alumnus of WW.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that's called Title 9. no offense to Western Washington, but there have been a lot
    more D1 wrestling and a few baseball
    programs that have been dropped and not many people cared.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree, Title IV has been a complete disaster when it comes to collegiate athletic programs and their budgets. Add in the fact football teams are far larger than any other squad and don't have female counterparts and the problem is magnified.

I understand the legalities of it and the opportunities it has created for women. But other than family and friends, no one gives a rat's ass about women's crew, golf, tennis, gymnastics, etc. Ever covered or attended one of those events?

Why on earth are people given scholarships for that at the same time you are cutting the one sport with a flying chance of actually making money?

Yes, Koenan was a WWU alum. I did the story on him when he signed with the Falcons after going undrafted back in 2005. Very nice, courteous young man. Pretty good on placements, too, which is why I figured he'd be great in the CFL if the NFL didn't pan out.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sorry to nitpick, but it's Title IX, not Title IV.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Paging Cadet ...

You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about. Title IX is about far more than athletics. ::)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I used to love going to small college football games as a kid. You don't find that many below FCS now. Seems a lot of schools moved up to FBS or bailed completely. At least there are some DIII programs.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course. I'm simply referring to the ramifications of such on athletic programs at the collegiate level.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Down with Title 4!

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's obviously not the part I was referring to.

The idea that a university has to have as many female athletes as male athletes is stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted