1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Western North Carolina out of gas; South about to panic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Atlanta not doing too hot, either

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1231920.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/09/26/ST2008092600422.html

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why are they running out?

The article seemed to say it was because people were filling up when they didn't need to, but it doesn't address why there are shortages to begin with.

Is it because of Ike?

3. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

There is no "about to panic" down here in ATL. Atlanta's been in full-on gas panic mode since just before Ike hit; that's part of the problem.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's a gas shortage because people are fucking idiots.

5. lono

lono Active Member

The lack of gas hasn't helped, either.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ike is the problem in general, but specifically in Atlanta, the problem is that the city (like all large metro areas) has more stringent emissions requirements than in small cities or rural areas. Because the gas pipeline isn't yet working at full capacity after Ike, Atlanta gas stations can't get enough of the cleaner-burning gas to keep up with demand.

I'm heading that way for the Alabama-Georgia game tomorrow morning. I'm carrying six extra gallons of gas with me so I'll be able to get back home.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Plenty of gas in Florida.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Gas has actually gone down about 20 cents here the last couple of days.

Was around 3.69, now down to 3.49.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The EPA actually temporarily suspended the tighter restrictions last week due to massive complaints. Won't help supply problems for at least another week though. AND prices are still hovering at the $4/gallon mark.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I just drove from Cleveland, Ga., to Woodstock and back -- about 125 miles -- and saw exactly two gas stations open for business, both with huge lines of dozens of cars. And the one open going down was out of gas by the time I came back.

It's amazing to see literally dozens of stations closed.

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the odd-even days of the 1973 embargo.

The biggest issue now is how many tankers -- and how many days -- will it take once the pipeline is flowing at capacity to get us anywhere close to "normal." And even if gas is plentiful in Alabama, will I have enough gas to get to Talladega on Thursday?

I think Sonny screwed the pooch -- for the second time this year (water crisis being the first) -- by not being proactive and getting the EPA's approval immediately after Ike.

11. That's the funny thing. Prices are supposed to be down once the gas returns.

I've got family in the western Carolinas and they say the panic isn't limited only to gas. Lots of people are cleaning the grocery stores out of bread and milk out of fear that the gas shortage will create other shortages.

12. I'm just going to come right out and say it: This is what these fuckin' rubes get for voting for Bush twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted