1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Western Conference Match-up Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lieslntx, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I listened to the commentators last night talking about how complicated the what-if situations are for the playoff match-ups in the Western Conference. But now that there are only 2 regular season days left, are there any what-if win/loss situations that will result in Houston & Utah NOT playing each other in the first round? Personally, I can't see any way these two won't play each other in the first round, but I'm not an expert.

Side note to AA: Get your scrawny butt back to town so you can get up-to-date and help me muddle through this mess!

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll be back tonight. Get your scrawny butt to the airport and pick me up so I can see my new kittens and my Little Man.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For the Mavs, it's simple. Beat New Orleans tonight and you get to play them again. Lose to New Orleans and it's a dose of Kobe.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Assuming the DUIs/Nuggets beat the Grizzlies.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

A little late, but :

Link: http://www.nba.com/news/playoff_scenarios_080416.html

A. HOUSTON-PHOENIX-UTAH-SAN ANTONIO (Seeds 3 to 6)

(Higher Seeded team has homecourt in first round unless otherwise indicated)
    1. If Houston and San Antonio win:
    3-San Antonio
    4-Utah
    5-Houston (homecourt)
    6-Phoenix

2. If Houston, Utah and Phoenix win:
    3-Utah
    4-Phoenix
    5-Houston (homecourt)
    6-San Antonio

3. If Utah wins and Phoenix loses:
    3-Utah
    4-San Antonio
    5-Houston
    6-Phoenix

4. If San Antonio and Phoenix wins and Houston loses:
    3-San Antonio
    4-Utah
    5-Phoenix (homecourt)
    6-Houston

5. If San Antonio wins and Houston and Phoenix lose:
    3-San Antonio
    4-Utah
    5-Houston
    6-Phoenix

6. If Utah and Phoenix wins and Houston loses:
    3-Utah
    4-Phoenix
    5-San Antonio
    6-Houston

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Spurs beat Jazz ... so SA gets Phoenix, while Utah gets Houston. Not sure I'd have wanted to win that one.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'm one of the biggest Houston Rockets fans in the world, but I am still amazed that they wound up with home court advantage in the plaoffs. It's simply amazing that they've been able to hold up so well. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about the playoffs. While Rafer Alston isn't a HOFer, him being hurt for two games is gonna kill the Rockets. Utah has about every mismatch in the world in their favor. Mutombo on Okur? Bobby Jackson on Deron Williams? I see Kyle Korver and Matt Harpring repeatedly nailing wide open jumpers off of the PNR all series.

Draft saved Draft deleted