1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Westchester/Poughkeepsie doings (and not good ones)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Gannett is eliminating 70 jobs in Westchester (50 news, 20 advertising) as per the Gannettoid.com Web site.

Poughkeepsie is eliminating roughly 10 positions in the newsroom, which also includes sports, although there are three open positions that the 10 can apply for.

All who are eliminated can each apply for two jobs at Westchester as part of the restructuring. There looks to be about 25-30 jobs of news and sports. I'm not sure how many advertising jobs there are.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You can apply for your old job by going here
    http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?IPath=QHTCMGM&excrit=freeLoc%3dNew+York%2c+NY%3bQID%3dA3852769035876%3bst%3dA%3buse%3dALL%3bTID%3d0%3bCTY%3dNew+York%3bSID%3dNY%3bCID%3dUS%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP%3dDRNS%3bYDI%3dYES%3bIND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bJN%3dJN047%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH%3dGT120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dALL%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP%3dDC%3bFRE%3d30%3bCHL%3dAL%3bQS%3dSID_UNKNOWN%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bOB%3d-modifiedint%3bJQT%3dRAD%3bJDV%3dFalse&ff=21&cbRecursionCnt=2&cbsid=ded3d254e4e94d1b96701a33d3dcad85-303417976-RF-4

Or you could apply for a job there, if you don't work there since it looks like they won't be giving preference to the people already employed there.

http://gawker.com/5336066/layoffs-at-gannett

Yippee!
    Sweet Tebow am I glad I don't work for Gannett now.

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

More from NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/business/media/13gannett.html?_r=1&ref=business

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

The whole thing stinks, not only because of the cuts, but also the reapplications that heavily imply - at least based on the Dean Singleton model - that these jobs won't be at the salary their current positions are.

Yes, we all saw that Gannett has Gannett-ized the titles. It's Gannett-speak for "stay here if you survive, but at a much lower pay scale."

Ugh. I've had the good fortune to meet some of the folks in Westchester. Quality people who deserve better, much like the other newsrooms.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm told long-time New York Giants writer Ernie Palladino and occasional New York Jets beat writer Jane McManus are out. I'm a little confused, because I thought everyone had the opportunity to reapply for his or her job. Maybe The Journal News will no longer cover the NFL?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Unless said person is based in McLean, Gannett couldn't care less about anything bigger than the neighborhood beat. Guess they figure it's easier to sell that to advertisers ... never mind that while three people in the neighborhood care, the thousands of other readers couldn't care less.

Typical myopic thinking by Gannett. And who's really surprised?

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You can make good money covering the local pro NFL team well.

We've figured that out.

Gannett, however, is not as convinced.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

And after that all they've got left is the Yankees, right?

Pete Abraham, great blog and all, probably isn't feeling too hot right about now.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I heard yesterday Ernie Palladino was told of the layoff/reapply procedure, got rather upset and has opted to take a buyout.
    I'm guessing he's not alone.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As a subscriber, my opinion is that Abraham is probably the best reporter they have in sports. I think he was on the road this week with the Yankees. Dumb to lose him. And, yes, he does a nice job with his blog.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Now Abraham is gone to the Boston Globe.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good to see Peter staying on his feet and, more important, talent and hard work being recognized.

Draft saved Draft deleted