1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

westboro clowns sink to a new low

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by albert77, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mizzou, what if a Democratic governor signed a bill restricting abortion protesters?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The law is unconstitutional.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be for it. I'm pro-choice.

4. Mizzougrad96

Good. They can argue over it in court after the families of the vicitims can mourn the loss of their loved ones without some assholes from Kansas protesting at the funeral.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There already are laws restricting abortion protestors from coming within a certain number of feet of a clinic.

Gee, I wonder why?

6. Mizzougrad96

If you can't get medical care or mourn the loss of a friend or loved one without being harrassed, there is something seriously wrong there.

7. How so?

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Apparently, they've changed the mind: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2011/01/12/tucson-funeral-westboro-baptist.html?ref=rss

9. Mizzougrad96

Just for the girl's funeral and "in exchange for airtime" It sounds like they're protesting a couple of the other ones...

Worst people ever.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The funeral protection law is definitely Constitutional. It's patterned after other laws that have been upheld by the Courts.

You can't stop them from protesting. You can restrict them in narrowly-tailored, reasonable ways in order to keep them from disrupting the funeral. They can't come within 300 feet for one hour before or after the funeral. The courts have ruled that is a narrowly-tailored, reasonable restriction on time, place and manner.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they violate the order by even a micro-millimeter, they need to be instantly dragged off by the heels, slapped in iron cuffs and dumped face-first in a cold, cold cell.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If it's "definitely" constitutional then I guess the Supreme Court heard the challenge last October for shits and giggles. Alternatively, and, more likely, they're considering it because, as the saying goes, they "grant cert to reverse." If they follow precedent, and I predict they will, the law will be struck down as a violation of the First Amendment. But regardless of how the case is decided, its definitely wrong to say the law is "definitely" constitutional.

Draft saved Draft deleted