1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

westboro clowns sink to a new low

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by albert77, Jan 11, 2011.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm sure most papers still get the faxes from the Westboro Church, well we got one today that is beyond despicable. They are announcing that they plan to picket the funeral of the 9-year-old girl who was killed in the Tucson shootings.

Why? Because she was raised a Catholic and celebrated Christmas. Apparently, in their twisted theology, all Catholics are devil-worshiping perverts and Christmas is heathen idolatry.

It's one thing to protest the funerals of soldiers who are killed in action. Doesn't make it right or acceptable, but at least these are grown men and women who chose to join the military and who were serving in a war zone.

But this poor girl was NINE YEARS OLD and was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. And for these people (a term I'd use loosely) to use that for their sick purposes is just evil.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm with you man. It absolutely sickens me. These people are among the worst on the planet.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Look, haven't we reached the point where any time there's going to be a funeral that generates any sort of significant attention we just assume they'll be there? It's not news anymore. It's disgusting, but not shocking, if that makes sense. A lot of media organizations just ignore them. They no longer make news. They just act reflexively. It's time more and more of us treat it all as so and just stop highlighting what they do. It's no longer surprising.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Half the time, they don't even show up. And if they actually show up and you counter-protest, they say you're impeding on their free speech rights, etc.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Mr, Phelps, have you sense of decency?

I guess we know the answer to that one.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As I said on the Giffords thread, this cult — and that's what it is — has perfected the art of getting publicity for doing nothing. They announce they're going to show up, get coverage and then don't show up half the time.

We've had eight or nine members of the military from here killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. Each time, we get a fax or e-mail announcing WBC will be there to protest the funeral. They have yet to show up here. News did stories the first couple of times, then quit. Local TV stations, however, still breathlessly report on the upcoming protest by the WBC cultists. But then they never do a "Hey, where were they?" follow.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Probably right...

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who. Cares.

Ignore them.

I only have so much outrage to expend. I will waste not a drop of it on Phelps. My blood doesn't so much as percolate about his actions. I don't care. It doesn't move my needle one single iota.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I would, but this was just so ... beyond sick, even for them, that I needed to vent a little.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Irritates me as well. Complete lack of human decency has a tendency to do that.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sorry, C_K.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They are doing it to provoke exactly that reaction. They get their jollies by being as offensive as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted