1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Westboro Baptist Church accecepts offer to go to Iraq and protest ISIS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://jezebel.com/westboro-baptist-church-accepts-comedians-offer-to-pic-1625999902

No good guys on either side.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

The God I know thinks these people are idiots. But it's going to be possibly a tragic outcome. There will be those who say, if someone dies, they were stupid to go over there. There will be others who will view them as martyrs for standing up for God. And that's going to be the interesting part.

For example, how would, say, Fox News play it? Would they spin it to their Christian-Right viewership as look at their heroic stance, but let's not mention all the awful, disrespectful things they've done in the past?

I hate them, I really do. But it puts me in a strange position, because I do feel like the world needs more people who actually stands up for what they believe in and not just puts on a social-media show and pretends that they care.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They'll send a fax to the Baghdad Times, get everyone all het up, then no-show.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you meant that as snark, FB, but I think there's a pretty good chance that's close to what is going to happen. They have "accepted" the invitation. Let's see if they actually board a plane.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's EXACTLY what's happening. The WBC is attention whoring. They are outrage trolling. They show up at less than half the time when they announce they will. People should ignore them.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Sounds like a story from The Onion.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hopefully at some point the WBC fuckos pick the wrong funeral to picket, and somebody beats/shoots the shit out of them right here in the good ol' U.S.A. A couple of those fuckers carried off in body bags would be a beautiful thing. :D

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that the shooter(s) would have to be prosecuted.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Given the right defense strategy, no jury would ever convict.

Or, they might convict, and sentence the defendant to two weeks paid vacation at Disney World.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good lord are you ever taking this WAY too seriously. They're not actually going. This is just trolling the public for attention.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You know God?

They would absolutely convict. Don't be ridiculous.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

If a family member of a person whose funeral was being picketed shot a member of the WBC, I would bet 90 percent of juries in this country would not vote to convict.

Draft saved Draft deleted