1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Virginia University football reporter, Morgantown, WV.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Might as well apply, friend ...

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

What happened to the person who was covering them?

3. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

How many papers cover West Virginia seriously other than this one?

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Charleston, I'd assume.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think the Pittsburgh papers cover 'em, too. Don't know how much.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Charleston does cover WVU, and so do a few other papers in the state. WVU is religion there, so there's a big-time statewide following even though Charleston and Huntington are about three hours away. Post-Gazette pays attention, especially when WVU's teams are playing well.

Doubt you'll get too close to 40 in that job, but you can live there dirt cheap. What BRoth said is true, there isn't much nice housing there, or at least not many nice rentals. It's definitely a college town. During the school year there are almost as many students as there are permanent residents. But that beat is far and away the top thing going there, and the paper, while small, covers the hell out of the Mountaineers.

7. To answer your question, I Like HD:

Morgantown Dominion Post (The plan was for Sports Editor Eric Herter to do it; I don't know if that changed or if they just want two people on the beat; Columnist Bob Hertzel also does a bunch and attends most, if not all, games)

Charleston Gazette (Dave Hickman; Sports Editor Mitch Vingle attends most games and writes columns from them)

Charleston Daily Mail (Mike Cassazza left the Dominion Post to replace me starting next week; Sports Editor Jack Bogaczyk attends most games and writes columns from them)

Pittsburgh Post Gazette (Chuck Finder; their columnists come once in a while)

Pittsburgh Tribune Review (Rick Starr; their columnists come once in a while)

Those are the guys who go everywhere with the team. There are others who are at every home game and random road games. But those are the five true beat writers (I'm not counting the Rivals and Scout Web site guys).

Oh, yeah, who could forget Mickey Furfari, an eightysomething-year-old reporter who has been on the beat for more than 50 years. He works for the Fairmont Times, if I'm not mistaken, and provides copies for all of the state's CNHI papers.

8. Penske Material

Penske Material New Member

I know this paper very well. Could certainly fill in some blanks, privately, of course. I'm pretty sure this is separate from the copy editor/designer posting from a few weeks back, so this would be two vacancies on a "small, yet extremely productive" staff in short time.

9. Eric Herter

Eric Herter New Member

This is separate from the Copy desk job.

After years of service, Bob Hertzel has decided to retire. That means we need someone else to help with WVU football.

10. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

So is it to be the WVU football beat writer or "someone else to help" with WVU football?

11. Eric Herter

Eric Herter New Member

It's the beat writing position.

12. Penske Material

Penske Material New Member

Good to see this clarified.

Draft saved Draft deleted