1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Virginia beat writer wanted

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Just a thought: does this place have great vision insurance? You'll need it after lengthy exposure to those bright yellow unis.

Company: The Dominion Post
    Position:
    WVU Football Beat
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    April 6, 2010
    Job ID: 1153522

Description:
    The Dominion Post seeks a talented writer to cover the WVU football beat. The right candidate will cover the Mountaineers at home and on the road, and will be expected to provide interesting and informative football stories throughout the year. The person will work general assignment during off-season and assist with special section writing. Some desk work in the off-season may also be required. A talented team player is needed to complement our small, yet extremely productive Sports Department in Morgantown, WV, just an hour south of Pittsburgh and home to the state’s flagship university. The Dominion Post is north central West Virginia’s largest daily newspaper with a circulation of 22,000-plus daily and 25,000-plus on Sunday. The Dominion Post is an equal opportunity employer that offers competitive salaries and benefits. Send resumes and clips to Assistant to the Editor Patricia McDonald, 1251 Earl Core Road, Morgantown WV 26505 or e-mail: pmcdonald@dominionpost.com. No phone calls please.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Beautiful city. Nice campus. I'm sure someone will disagree, so feel free to chime in. Paper's pretty good for a city that size and Pitt's an hour away in good weather. Discuss. :)

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"Small, yet extremely productive Sports Department" = extremely overworked

Very good sports section for its size, but I'm not sure if the DP's writers ever get a day off. Obviously, the same applies to the WVU football beat.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

Is the DP still family-owned? It used to be owned by John Raess, if I'm recalling and spelling correctly ....

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I wonder what happened to Stephanie. She was very, very good.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Harrisburg

7. dracula

dracula New Member

I would apply for this job if I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of landing it.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Dracula: you should apply regardless. They may see something they can work with, even if you don't have the exact specifications from the ad in your job history. What's the worse they can say? No.

9. The D-P is still a family-owned (Raese) paper. And a good one. They do an OUTSTANDING job in all facets of coverage for that area.
    They do work hard. Several of their beat writers have used the DP as a stepping stone to other papers.

10. Phil Brickman

Phil Brickman New Member

Send resumes and clips to Assistant to the Editor Patricia McDonald

Is that the equivalent to Dwight Schrute?

11. 5RunHomer

5RunHomer New Member

I've never been to Morgantown, but I hear it's not as bad as the coonskin cap might indicate.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you don't think you could get a job, then you shouldn't get it. Plenty of people out there who think they could land it.

Draft saved Draft deleted