1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Memphis Three

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Watched a few of the YouTube videos and I have two initial questions that I could find no answers for:

1) Why were these three suspects from the start? Were they in the area? Was it just a matter of pinning it on someone because people were outraged?

2) Why are so many celebrities getting behind this? I'm sure there are tons and tons and tons of innocent people who go to jail everyday, but this case seemed to really strike a chord with some, specifically Eddie Vedder.

On a side note, why do I feel the slightest bit duped by this whole thing? At the end of the videos is a link that says, "To donate." Why would I donate, when I'm not 100 percent convinced you didn't do it. In fact, I'm quite torn about the whole thing, but I agree with everyone previously who said it was handled poorly from the start.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They looked different and acted different. And by different i mean listened to metalica and read stephen king.
    if you remember back to that time period, a massive of hysteria was sweeping the land about the occult and satanism.
    if you linked stephen king reading to the killing of three kids now, it would get laughed out of court.
    sort of like "genital mutilation." that with slightly advanced science proven to be the work of a hungry turtle.
    it was partiially hige profile because of the hbo documentaries.
    the sheer craziness of calling stephen king readers satanists.
    it was also a death row case and this is the highest profile death row release in years if not decades.
    but the most important reason why it gathered attention is because the wm3 didn't kill anyone.
    a more plausible case can be made for the stepfather and one of his buddies doing it.
    when the cops don't follow up one of them being seen covered in blood and walking into the bojangles, then it is a pretty screwed up case.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Interesting that Misskelley wasn't invited to the post-release party for Echols and Baldwin.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug/21/back-to-life/

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Echols appears to be adjusting to life on the outside pretty well.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I smell another Mark Whicker column.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The HBO documentaries will re-air next week, Paradise Lost on Monday (Aug. 29) at 5 p.m. EDT and Paradise Lost 2 on Tuesday (Aug. 30) at 5:45 p.m. EDT. (Part 3 debuts in January).

Get your DVRs ready ...

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Both documentaries are now available on HBO On Demand.

Re-watched both last night. First time I'd seen in 7-8 years.

Still hard to fathom how a civilized justice system can work this way.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just saw an HBO promo for the third film. It premieres Thursday, Jan. 12.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Anybody catch the third part of the documentary last night? I haven't even seen the first two documentaries and admittedly knew very little about the case until I stumbled across Echols on a radio show two days ago talking about the documentary. Did a little research and naturally got interested in the case.

There's little doubt in my mind after watching the third part of the documentary last night that Terry Hobbs is the one that killed those three kids. His DNA was found on the shoestrings used to tie up the victims and he has no alibi during the critical times in the case. He also skipped town a couple of days after the murders.

It's a really interesting case that doesn't seem like it's going to die anytime soon. Apparently Peter Jackson has a documentary scheduled to release later this month on it, focusing more on the initial investigation and how they botched that whole thing from day one.

I feel really sorry for everyone involved, from the victims' families to the suspects, because the judicial system screwed the pooch on that investigation.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Stagger .. I highly recommend the book "Devil's Knot" by Mara Leveritt. Really good coverage of this story.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Jackson merely provided some last-minute funding; most of the heavy lifting is by Amy Berg, a fantastic documentary director who created this...

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/deliver-us-from-evil/

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

West of Memphis and the trailer is here

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/01/13/west-of-memphis-trailer/

Draft saved Draft deleted