1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're still standing - sports job in Greenwood, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Richard Whiting, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting New Member

While other small papers seem to be hellbent on wiping clean their staffs, including sports, we're still in the running with a good sports section. Heck, we even hold our press run till 1:30 a.m. during football season just so we can get gamers in the next morning's paper. Sad to say, we lost a good and energetic writer, David Roberts. Score now stands at Girlfriend 1, IJ 0. But we're ready to fill the void, not leave it open.

So, I'll just drop our ad right here and see how it goes:

Seeking talented sports writer

Are you ready to launch your sports writing career? Looking for a daily newspaper that places a premium on good work, strong work ethic and talent?

The Greenwood (S.C.) Index-Journal, a 12,000-plus circulation daily newspaper, is looking for a talented, energetic and aggressive sports writer to join its award-winning team.

We’re no second-rate publication. We take pride in our work, and it shows in the number of S.C. Press Association awards we have received the past several years. And that includes numerous awards for sports feature and news writing. We cover a dozen schools — public and private — and have two colleges we regularly cover, Lander University and Erskine College. Sure, football is king just as it is anywhere in the South, but we don’t ignore the other sports, and there’s plenty to be covered. And plenty of talent out there to supply a good flow of feature material.

We’re a family-owned newspaper, which means we don’t have the layers of corporate executives to wade through. While other newspapers are struggling to stay in business, we recognize that solid local content is what brings readers back to our newspaper and website.

We want to challenge the regular parameters attached to small papers. We believe the best way for a newspaper to succeed in this economic climate is to put out the best product possible.

The ideal candidate must understand local sports matter and be able to convey that through stories and photos. He or she must also understand the importance of digital-first journalism, using social media and video to tell their stories. The ideal candidate must be aggressive, creative and thorough. Key ingredients are pride in work and a passion for journalism. And while thinking digital first is important, you might find it good to know that we have our own press and set our own schedules. What does that mean? It means that those Friday night football games are not only going online, they’re going in the next morning’s print edition too. Because we still recognize the importance and value of print.

We’ve hired journalists from California to Florida. Our hires have had degrees from Missouri, Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, Ohio, Northwestern (master’s degree) and Georgia (master’s degree).

If you think this sounds like a good fit for you, and you have the desire to help us continue our award-winning, public-serving publication, let us hear from you.

If interested, send a cover letter, résumé, at least five clips (writing and page design, preferred) and references (via regular mail or email) to:

Richard Whiting
    Executive Editor
    P.O. Box 1018
    Greenwood, SC 29648
    rwhiting@indexjournal.com

No phone calls, please.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Pastor's Column damn near snuggling up with an Ashley Madison ad. I like it!

Good luck.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Richard is a friend of mine and this is a great paper to learn, to grow and all that. I can't recommend this one enough

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had a friend work at the Greenwood paper about 12-14 years ago. Said it's beautiful, great peaches but lots of poverty.

5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

How does a 12,000-circ paper that is probably an 11,000-circ paper purport such stability at an economic time when other papers cannot brag about the same? Does it simply come down to lower profit margins?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe it's such a poor area that no one has internet.

They all have to use Classifieds! :)

7. Skylar

Skylar New Member

You will be working alongside me in this position. It's a great company to be a part of, and this is one of the best places in the state to cover football. Feel free to email me at srolstad@indexjournal.com with any questions.

RonClements likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Family owned (I'm pretty sure) and they cover the hell out of their local area, they give the readers stuff they're not getting a million other places.

9. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

It is family owned. The newspaper and newsroom are led by good people who care about producing a quality product. It's in a small, but fun area.

I worked here for 6 1/2 years. The hardest thing I've ever done was leave (I got a promotion at another paper). I've gone back and visited several times. Apply for this gig. It's a good one.

10. JordanA

JordanA Member

Started my career here working for Richard and Scott Bryan. I’m sure plenty of the coaches have turned over since I left in 2014, but I couldn’t have asked for a better place to start out as a reporter. Greenwood and the surrounding areas are full of outstanding people. The sports scene is excellent. If you want a great starter job, definitely apply for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted