1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're screwed ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

So, what are the chances that papers are going to up the mileage rate soon? One in 100?

Considering how much driving I do in the fall covering high school and college stuff, I believe I am screwed.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

From the latest AP story:

‘‘Oil prices could increase by as much as $10 per barrel given the current environment,’’ Emori said. ‘‘But we can’t really say for sure how big an effect this is going to have until we have more exact figures about how much production is going to be reduced.’’
    Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore, said he expected the impact to be minimal.
    ‘‘The U.S. market is actually well-supplied; crude inventories are very high,’’ he said. ‘‘So while this won’t have any immediate impact on U.S. supplies, the market is in very high anxiety. So any significant disruption, traders will take that into account, even though there is no threat of a supply shortage.’’

Basically, we're likely going to be OK and prices at the pump won't be significantly affected, as long as people don't start freaking out. That would neeeeever happen, especially around here.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Translated: Expect gas prices to jump 5 to 10 cents per gallon by the end of business Monday.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How about the 201,000 gallons that were spilled in early March?

http://www.adn.com/front/story/8052558p-7945629c.html

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Damn you Bush I hate you.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Gas prices are sure to increase, and the environment may suffer some damage from the spill, small though it may be. Bad to worse, people. Bad to worse.

Of course, we just fail to understand how supply and demand and a free-market economy works.

In the words of Melvin Udall in "As Good As It Gets:"

"I'm drowing here, and you're describing the water!"

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

This also means that oil companies will continue to report record profits.

I don't necessarily know that this is Bush's fault, but somebody in power (congress, etc.) better start doing something otherwise there will be some serious changes coming.

Personally, I'd vote any incumbant out of office and have them start over with all of the politicians being something other than politicians. (kind of like in the Tom Clancy book when the plane crashed into the capital building during a speech by the president, killing just about every major politician. The new president -- Ryan -- asked that states not send politicians. That they send farmers and teachers and other people with regular jobs.)

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Yeah, that bastard. I can't get over how he snuck out of the White House and all the way to Alaska and helped the pipeline wear at a faster than normal rate. The only thing that pisses me off more than that is how Bush put all that oil in Alaska in the first place, just so it'd be so hard to get to!

God. I can't wait for him to be gone.

Really though, people blaming Bush for this is stupid. People on this board have no problem dreaming up long and elaborate lists of stuff to blame him for ... but a pipeline breaking in Alaska? What the fuck was he supposed to do? Go inspect it? Take a weekend off and build a better one?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dude ... I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

10. Inky_Wretch

We really need to start teaching newbies how to spot the sarcasm font ... along with fetching beers, of course.

11. Inky_Wretch

BTW, oil prices jumped $1 this morning. And one analyst is saying we could see it go up another $9 before everybody calms down...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/07/D8JBKUM00.html

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maybe I just missed it, but how is this the first I'm hearing of 200,000 barrels of oil being spilled in Alaska? Isn't that an awful lot of oil? And if that much spilled a couple months ago, how come they waited so long to fix this pipeline?

Draft saved Draft deleted