1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're Number 2!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Who gets to play LSU in the BCS National Championship Game?

1. Oklahoma State

52 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Alabama

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Stanford

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This should be very interesting.

1 vote for Oklahoma State.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can only assume Stanford is on there because the poll format requires three entries to code properly.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Precisely.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Boise State?

5. mb

mb Active Member

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/33660485

Palm says Okie State has to finish at least 19 points ahead of Alabama in each of the human polls to have a chance. Oklahoma State currently trails Alabama by 342 points in the Harris poll and 166 points in the coaches' poll. That essentially means the Cowboys are going to have to pass Stanford, which didn’t play, and Virginia Tech in the human polls.

"I'm not sure one team ahead of them [Oklahoma State] losing and one team putting up a big number [Clemson] is going to change the fact that everyone thought all along that LSU and Alabama were the two best teams," Palm said. "The voters would have to have an epiphany. That's basically what we're talking about."

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Okie State make it, but no way that happens.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I vote for Kodos, so don't blame me

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It comes down to this:

What's your criteria? Who do you think is better or who do you think has done more to deserve it?

The answer to the two questions are likely 1. Alabama and 2. Oklahoma State (same record against a tougher schedule, no way around that fact).

I'm of the opinion that you can't really know who's better without them playing, so I lean toward the second question: Who's done more to deserve it? The answer: Oklahoma State.

And that's how I vote. Ask me a week ago and, as an SEC guy, I would have told you Alabama without hesitation. But if you really give it a look I think it's OSU.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I'd rather see Oklahoma State play against LSU but I think it will be Alabama vs. LSU.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

As I said in the other thread, the counterpoint is that LSU is a historically great team. The Tigers won all but one game by big margins against a very tough schedule featuring two other conference champions and the second- or third-best team in the country.

Alabama played only one close game, its loss. If you believe that loss came to a historically great team, then you believe Alabama has to be really, really good. The way Alabama and LSU have won their games makes me a believer in the Tide as the second-best team in the country. The fact that the SEC has won the past five national championships certainly doesn't hurt.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Oklahoma State has a better resume and that can't be argued.

Alabama's going to be No. 2 based on the reputation of the SEC and nothing else.

College football is a joke.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://www.scribd.com/doc/74660790/The-Case-for-the-Cowboys

Draft saved Draft deleted