1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're not charging for online. We're offering digital memberships!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Biscayne, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

The Sun Sentinel, which forgot how to be a good newspaper more than a few years ago, is learning the art of marketing copywriting. Operators standing by!!!

Starting April 9, Sun Sentinel will join newspapers across the country, including Boston Globe, LA Times, Baltimore Sun, Star Tribune and Dallas Morning News, by offering memberships to its website.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-sun-sentinel-digital-memberships-letter,0,5619392.htmlstory

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Membership to read Fievel The Mouse's deli adventures when he gets to go to the Big City with the Fish on road trips? I am so there! Sign me up!

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that when they offer those memberships to the website, they simultaneously offer the option of reading the website without a membership.

Oh? They're not? Oh, well.

4. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

"Please be reminded that all gentlemen members are required to wear jackets and ties in the dining room. Thank you."

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Award-winning sports?
    Must direct you to the archive upon log in.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ooooo. Burn. ;)

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I laughed today when this publisher's note was on page 2 of my Sunday paper (the only one I get now), the same Sunday paper that put the Final Four on Page 8C (admittedly with a tease).

8. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

A couple of years ago, the award-winning Sun Sentinel's 1A centerpiece was a giant graphic and a few accompanying lines on How to Pick a Mattress. It was riveting stuff.

One of only two stories on 1A that day.
    The other story was consumer fluff, too.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Posted without comment:

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't pay.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I wonder what they're going to do with me and my Sunday-only paper with regard to the paywall. I'm suspecting not much.

12. And since people often go do a lot of big-item shopping on Sundays and get into general coupon-focused consumer mode, that was probably pretty well-read stuff. The more and more I look at web metrics, the more and more I realize that the average reader is far more interested in things like that than the probing public-records-based investigative piece on the local government.

Draft saved Draft deleted