1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're not all pedophiles, ya know...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 16, 2006.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If priests were allowed to get their swerve on with women, we wouldn't be hearing so much about pedpphilia, would we?

2. Russian Orthodox converts, too, Gold.
    That was part of JPII's strategy to use the church to undermine the Eastern bloc. As a theologian, he was pretty retrograde. As a power politician, he was formidable.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I didn't realize that the alternative to sex with an adult spouse was fondling the privates of young children.

Call me crazy but I don't think this really prevents that kind of thing.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hasn't the Catholic Church always told people — ckergy and layity — not to do it. The commandments, dogma, morality? Anybody?

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sure, but I think he's talking more in the sense of defending yourself against lawsuits. Just like corporations providing sexual harassment classes to immunize them from suits.

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

No, but I think there's an interesting question to be studied about whether the Church's required celibacy attracts a disproportionate number of men struggling with various "non-traditional" sexual urges or orientations.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I believe in female preists with large bazongas, small waists and questionable morality...I, as the Pontiff, will personally train each and every one of them.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I have a friend whose father is going to be ordained a priest in January. He was married for a long time and after the divorce, found his calling. Funny how that works.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Of course not. Because you never hear of married pedophiles.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually, the celibacy thing doesn't so much attract pervs as it does limits the overall pool of candidates.

There is speculation that pedophiles recognized the priesthood as a perfect opportunity. A job that provides cover and access to young boys.

Further that some of these pedophiles were popular priests (popular priests are harder to confront that creepy, unpopular priests) and rose in the ranks.

So years later you had bisops and cardinals who were pedphiles themselves protecting younger priests when they were accused. Plus, you presumably had non-pedophile bishops who just wanted to sweep everything under the rug.

Adds up to one very big mess.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You also have the angle of pedophiles who know their urges are wrong and who enter the priesthood to try and "cure" themselves.

12. He got all the fucking out of him.
    "I'm ready for celibacy!"

Draft saved Draft deleted