1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're not all pedophiles, ya know...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 16, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6153452.stm

Pope Benedict XVI has met top advisers at the Vatican to study requests from Catholic priests who wish to marry.

Why even bother? No one believes this is happening this century.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah... I know that "kiddie fiddler" and "I want to get married" are not mutually exclusive. Just wanted to say it before someone else does.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Well, I guess if you don't at least start talking about it...it wont happen in the next century either.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

An idea, like female priests, that is well, well past the need for immediate implementation.

I won't hold my breath.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm not against Catholic priests marrying each other, but maybe the church should start with baby steps.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ace --

I thought taking steps with babies was part of the problem?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Zeke -- Right as always. This is quite the conundrum. Maybe we should ask PopeDirkBenedict.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In related news, on Monday night I go to Virtus training so I can coach my son's Catholic school fourth-grade basketball team. Virtus training is basically how-not-to-molest-children training. I hope I pass.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do what you can, Bob.

Don't be a hero. Go with God.

In all seriousness, that's some messed up shit.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Good lord .... what is the final exam?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I presume the point of the training is so the church, in case of a coach kid-diddling, can defend itself by saying it told him not to do that.

I'll let you know how it goes.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

There are already about 100 married Catholic priests in the Catholic Church. There is a loophole in Church Law (called the Canon) where if somebody was an Episcopal or Lutheran priest, if they are married and want to convert to Catholicism, they can become a Catholic priest. Also, there are priests who were divorced and had their marriages annulled in the Church and studied to become a priest. Somebody who taught my daughter religion is married to a Catholic priest.

I think it will happen within 15 or 20 years; there is too great a shortage of priest. The fact that people can be married and convert and become a priest while a married Catholic can't become a priest - the logic can't stand. Another back door would be allowing Catholic deacons who are married to preside at Mass. Our second daughter's baptism ceremony was conducted by a deacon, so things are moving at a glacial pace but they are moving.

Draft saved Draft deleted