1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're (Journalists are) No. 6 (among psychopaths)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Nov 9, 2013.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://theweek.com/article/index/251957/which-professions-have-the-most-psychopaths

According to the article, among all professions Journailsts have the 6th highest number of psychopaths -- behind CEO, Lawyer, TV/Radio Media, Salespeople, and Surgeons.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The $64,000 question: Are we conditioned to have many of those traits by being in this field, or are we attracted to this field because we already possess those traits?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Two thoughts:

*TV/Radio media not considered journalists?

*Anyone else bitter we're that low?

4. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Reminds me of a heated discussion from a media ethics class in college. A bunch of scenarios and photos put on the table, and then a debate on each item whether they should be published. Most of class voted to publish on a lot of the items, a handful always went the way of taking people's feelings into consideration. At the end of the debate, the professor looked to the group stressing empathy for every item and advised them to change majors.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Politician and banker aren't ranked in the Top 5, or even the Top 10? List fail.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Let's face it, sportswriters are a weird bunch.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We had a similar thread a year ago. Vers turned in one of his masterpieces. I'm not calling d_b, just celebrating a SJ classic.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3476038/

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I thought the definition was interesting. I guess I never thought about what it means to be a psychopath.

Oddly, I've held multiple jobs on both lists.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they had used this board's membership as a sampling size, the ranking would have been higher.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I attended a national SPJ conference some years back. One panel discussion/topic said we're more sociopathic than psychopathic. There is a difference, and that difference means we can at least function in society without being completely destructive/self-destructive within the first year of our careers. Something like that. I'd say it's accurate, but that's just my opinion. I have nothing to cite.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Seeing this ranking, I feel nothing in my cold heart, except a slight confusion as to why "media" is ranked higher than "journalist." It's like ranking "attorney" ahead of "lawyer." Is this good or bad for print folks? Do web guys fit in with one of those groups, or just plot their own psychopathic revenge at being left out on both counts?

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Expected lawyer to be No. 1.
    Also expected dentist to rank highly.
    It is the profession with the most suicides.

Draft saved Draft deleted