1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're going to war with Iran

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Isn't one of the articles in the U.S. Constitution that only Congress can approve the waging of war. I know there are a bunch of amendments allowing the Prez to fight when he sees fit, but it seems like Congress could strip him of those rights, being that it's in the Constitution.

Of course, it's a matter of, do they have the guts....

2. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Wouldn't surprise me. I've got a brother in the Army with less than three months to go until he gets out. He's being heavily persuaded to re-enlist. He doesn't want to, so he's being "punished." But, they're the government. I'm sure they'll find a way to force him back in.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

A blog has never caused a war.

Viva la blogging!!!

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They already have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-loss_policy

5. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Darth (and his hand puppet Chimp) will claim the original congressional authorization to go into Afghanistan and Iraq will still be in effect if and when they have a go at Iran. My guess is Congress will indeed roll over again.

My second guess is it's their idea of an Iraq exit strategy — where else will the ground forces come from? They won't come from Afghanistan; that's mostly straight-leg infantry.

Therein lies the rub. We can't invade Iran; we're stretched too thin. We don't have the personnel or the ready equipment.

I suspect they'll find a convenient excuse and then run bombing raids and send some cruise missiles in a la "shock and awe," and send in some SF forces or SEALs to fuck with the oil terminals to cut off their cash flow.

Then watch oil zoom past $200.

I see the Bushies working here.

7. These people are unspeakably evil.
    If this happens, then the presidency is a four -- or eight -- year dictatorship.
    Nothing less.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Exxon luuuuuuuvs it. Just luuuuuuuuuuuuves it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The War Powers Act lays it out pretty clearly about the limits within which the president can authorize military action without an actual declaration of war. In fact, the president has quite a bit of time to get in, mess things up, then go before Congress and essentially play the "how dare you pull our boys out when they're in the middle of fighting" game.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wonder what Kenny Lay feels about this, as he sips mojitos in Rio?

Draft saved Draft deleted