1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're going to war with Iran

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wow, they really don't want McCain to win.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought it was weird that at the end they showed the Admiral the two girls, one cup video.
    Seems like Esquire is doing a theme issue

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Actually, I think it's the opposite. If they get a war going, the GOP can shove the same bullshit down our throats about taking out the terrorists before they come here. And unfortunately I think too large a portion of the voters in this country are simple-minded enough to fall for it again if they hear it consistently enough.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In all honesty, they don't need to GO to war, only to ramp up the "threat" level about Iran to help the GOP win. This administration is nothing if not predictable. Didn't everyone know we were going to Iraq as soon as Bush was elected?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran ....

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mr. Wilson.

Perhaps showing my political ignorance here (yeah, I know, it's already been revealed), but ... Does Bush have enough support in congress to launch another war in the Middle East? He had a groundswell of bipartisan support to go into Afghanistan and Iraq. I just don't see him pushing this one through.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Fucking magazines.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This does not come as a shock.

Frightened? Yes. A disappointment? Yes. But not a shock. Not with this administration of liars and incompetents.

9. bruins2585

bruins2585 New Member

So the Esquire article implies that if Fallon stepped down or was fired then that would signal an irreconcilable difference of opinion with the Bush Administration on Iran. Anyone think he purposely waited until the article was published to do this symbolic act? It's theatrical and should get complacent Americans to take notice, right?

Fallon is smart. He knew the impact this article would make. I doubt he feels Barnett burned him. By the way Barnett describes scenes in the story, it seems that he's been interviewing Fallon and following him around for at least a year. Fallon would not grant that kind of access if he didn't have an idea of the content of the article and its tone.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Does he really even need Congressional support? He is the commander in chief, and at least in theory can order America's armed forces around as he pleases. Congress can try to hold him in check by cutting off money, but will it have the guts to do it, given that any soldier deaths or injuries from insufficient equipment or training will be held over their heads when they run for re-election?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They can sell Iran to the wingnuts and the soccer-mom idiots -- but to no one else.

Joe Rossi had it right: "Cheney -- and what army?"

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted