1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're getting flood-sacked

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 8, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Susquehanna River is expected to crest at 29 feet tomorrow, and they're evacuating the front three blocks of Harrisburg. In fact, they're not allowing people in and out of the city right now.

http://topics.pennlive.com/tag/flooding/posts.html

Sad thing: At Hersheypark, they had to euthanize (read: shoot) two bison that were trapped in the flood waters and about to drown.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/09/2_zooamerica_bison_drowning_in.html

FWIW, we're a good 15 miles away. My daughter and her fiancee, though, are bringing their cats and coming down. They're being evacuated in New Cumberland, directly across the river from the 'Burg.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just minor flooding where I'm at, but Wilkes-Barre and Bloomsburg are getting hit with it.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have family on the river in Lewisburg. I assume they are closer to in the river right now.

4. jr/shotglass

Yeah, time to make their way up toward campus.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have heard many stories about the flood of '72 in the Genesee Valley. Bears more than a few similarities to this.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The folder on the Texas Wildfires needed six hours to get as many posts as this one.

East coast media bias.

7. jr/shotglass

That's because

8. jr/shotglass

I post-pad

9. jr/shotglass

about the East coast.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is it as bad as Agnes yet? That wiped out a few towns (Steelton among them).

11. jr/shotglass

No. Agnes crested at 32 feet. This one is to reach 29 feet in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My uncle and counsins live in York and the surrounding areas. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

One of my cousins facebooked me today and said it hasn't stopped raining since Labor Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted