1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're eliminating your job! But first, have a milkshake

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by militantoysterdog, Nov 21, 2006.

1. True story. I have a relative who works at TV Guide. The other day they laid off a bunch of longtime editors, then followed it up with Milkshake Day at the office to make the staff feel better.

To me, that sums up so much about today's corporate media world.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe they let the stringy-looking people go and are fattening up the rest for harvest.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

AB-SO-FUCKING-LUTELY!

At my business, they had Ice Cream Day and charged people for the fucking ice cream.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Did they at least give you a good deal on the ice cream?
    I used to work at a Gannett shop (or a sweatshop), and one year, they were generous enough to give us holiday bonuses. Only instead of cash, they gave us gift certificates ... for a free psychiatric counseling session.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The real question:
    Was it just standard-fare milkshakes? Vanilla, strawberry or chocolate?
    Or, were they able to add ingredients? (i.e. ground Oreo's or M&Ms?)
    I find if I'm able to add such ingredients, I'm able to shake any life-altering depression.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

At least they gave you something you could use.

To be in this business, you need to have your head examined.

7. The stuffed shirts always believe a journo can be bought for a meal or a drink, or in this case, dessert.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As I'm getting dressed in my hotel room this morning, I've got CNBC on because they were doing a couple stories on sports marketing I was interested in. Well, in the meantime, they've got this editor from CEO Magazine on, talking about "CEO Confidence," and how it's up based on economic factors.

When the anchor asked him about what that means for hiring, since this is hiring season for college undergrads, MBA's and the like, this schmuck says that CEO's are skittish about this generation of grads based on their work ethic, that they aren't as "work-oriented as their predecessors."

Even though I've been out of college 18 years, let me translate. This college generation has seen their predecessors work 65- and 70-hours weeks, putting their lives on hold, only to get whacked at the first sign of slackening corporate earnings. Meanwhile, they've seen CEO's pull down pay packages that would satisfy Potter Stewart's definition of obscene.

So, they can be more than excused for not worshiping at the altar of The Great Corporation, but instead, wanting a little balance to go with their hard work.

Blow. Me. Toad.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I'm only 25 and couldn't have said that any better.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kids are just lazy these days, is all. [/Hondo the idiot]

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Actually, I think they charged you, then when you left, everyone had a laugh and said, "We really stuck it to that shithead Yawn, didn't we? How should we divy this up?"

12. I am so hoping this is true.

Draft saved Draft deleted