1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're back in Somalia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dude, Jan 9, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Any ground forces there, or just airstrikes?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ethiopia has troops on the ground. They've pretty much beaten back the islamist militants there already. The US just threw a little extra in for good measure.

3. three_bags_full

Well, no shit. ::)

4. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070109/ap_on_re_af/somalia_277

We had helicopters in there today also.

5. three_bags_full

Hmmmm ... Interesting.

We only have three helicopters that could be remotely confused with "gunships." The Navy and Marines' Super-Cobra, the OH-6, a very small Army special operations bird, and the Army's Apache. All have very, very short ranges -- nothing that could launch a suprise attack from a carrier.

Am I making sense here?

6. statrat

statrat Member

Could be Uh-1s but most African countries seem to favor Russian equipment, so I doubt they were ours.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's been a forward operating base set up somewhere nearby. Somalia is actually a country the size of Texas.

8. three_bags_full

That's what I'm saying. It'd be hard to get a helicopter with a 400-mile range into and out of a country the size of Texas without anyone knowing it.

Are our soldiers in Somalia? I'd have to bet against that.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ethiopians have been there a couple weeks doing some ass kicking.

10. three_bags_full

I wish other nations would respond to crises in Africa that way.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Not I. There are places in this world that we should be to make it a safer place. There are some fucked up things going on in Africa.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Russian-designed (actually, Soviet-designed) Mi-24 Hind, someplace land-based. Current operators on that side of Africa include Ethiopia, which has taken a major hand in the most recent events in Somalia.

Of course, somebody could have refitted an old Huey which we definitely manufactured. The OH-6 (although what you're thinking of is either the AH-6J or the MH-6J) is commercially available as the Hughes H-6 and can probably be rigged up with this, that or the other.

But I would bet on it being an Ethiopian-operated Hind.

1stADD: The Ethiopian military was actually the first to use the Hind in combat, during the Ogaden War in 1977-78 against --- surprise! --- Somalia. That was the conflict that started Somalia on the road to being the cesspool it is today.

Draft saved Draft deleted