1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're at TGIFridays, where we've secretly replaced fine liquor with swill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 22, 2013.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Why, you son...of...a...bitch!!!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4154

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine used to always order and Ketel One and Cranberry. I gave him endless shit about it because he liked ordering it, but that it didn't make any sense to order expensive vodka if you're mixing it with something so you can't taste it.

Every time it was my turn to buy a round, he got cheap vodka with that cranberry juice. :D

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're going to adulterate vodka I don't see the point to use super-highend stuff, but I still wouldn't use the well because you'll get a thicker hangover.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're so inclined, the nice thing about Tito's is that it's both award winning, and relatively cheap.

You can pick up a 750ml bottle for $18.99: http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Titos_Handmade_Vodka_141757.html

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I think I read somewhere you can take Popov or McCormick vodka and run it through a Brita twice and it will taste high-end.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My best friend bottle swaps when he has to have co-workers over. He works in the finance industry and a lot of his co-workers like the high end scotch. He has a couple bottles for 25-year-old scotch that are filled with 10-year-old scotch. I asked him what the difference was and he said, "about $400 a bottle".

Even when I still drank if you came over to my house and you wanted something other than Jameson's or beer you were SOL.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not to mention make your post-exercise glass of water a lot more fun.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I actually heard Fuzzy Zoeller's vodka is quite good, and relatively inexpensive as well.

9. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Tastes like chicken.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't necessarily taste a difference, but I can definitely tell a difference in smoothness. I had always just had like Smirnoff, and when I finally did Grey Goose, it was so much smoother it was surprising.

If I'm doing shots of vodka, it's going to be Goose. Just goes down easier and doesn't hit you as hard the next day.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think that's an Alton Brown trick. Wish I'd known to do that with Vladdy back in the day.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It makes it smoother, without a doubt. The filter is pretty much shot after a few pass-throughs, though. The filtration process is the primary difference between Popov and Smirnoff. Same source liquid, but Smirnoff is filtered at least twice more. Home-filtered rotgut won't have the same mouth feel as some higher-end liquids, e.g. Grey Goose, which will add glycerin for a smoother feel, but it certainly won't have the original nose hair-shedding harshness.

Draft saved Draft deleted