1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're about to be written about

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, May 24, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From Bill Bradley's Sitelines (The Sacramento Bee):

SPORTSPAGES:
    Site: www.ussportspages.com.

The skinny: In honor of Bissinger, we give you the best-known aggregator of newspaper sports sections. SportsPages has gone through a lot of changes since Rich Johnson started it almost 10 years ago. It has had spinoff sites (such as SportsJournalists.com, but we’ll write about that later this month) and even changed its name a few years ago. It shut down for a few weeks thanks to an unmoderated message board. But the heart of SportsPages is simple: It’s a one-stop shop to find the best newspaper sports stories of the day, with links to every major sports section in the country — and many sports sections worldwide.
    The call: I read this site every day and receive its top 10 stories list via e-mail every morning. SportsPages takes the effort out of combing major newspaper Web sites. I still read the newspaper sites that cover my favorite teams, but for interesting columns and in-depth stories, this is one of my favorite traditional news sites.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yep. Great place to find the 10 best stories of the day that were written by either people Rich knew, or who write for the largest papers, or who subscribe to the daily e-mail.

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I just googled a few other examples. Looks like Mr. Bradley does a nice job with this feature.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

IJAG is totally right. I stopped reading the TOP 10 when I realized what a complete joke it was.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Do you think he needs any pictures for his story?

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

New owner and operator of Sportspages is a guy named Gregg Henson, a former sports radio shock jock. Had the misfortune of hearing him a few times. Ugh.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's America. We need everything quantified (see also: top college journalists thread, ABC audit obsessing every six months, every sports poll from the AP I-A poll to the top 10 golf teams in Ass River Falls).

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed.
    And in typical style, the lead ad on the home page is touting a site to get Ann Coulter's latest propaganda e-mailed to you...

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm kinda curious why it went from "sportspages.com" to "ussportspages.com".

I guess he doesn't want anything to do with soccer, cricket or hockey.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Seems like I remember a thread about that. Yup, here it is:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41490/

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh Christ. The Detroit version of Mark Madden.

Run out of half-a-dozen jobs (usually by means of abrupt firing) because of on-air sexist, racist and misogynist gaffes (much much worse than the usual fratboy radio shit, where that stuff is normally just winked at), and his abject refusal and inability to talk about much of anything except University of Michigan football (which quite understandably went over like a plutonium turd in Austin, Texas).

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Bill:

Don't fucking write about us. The last thing we need is an influx of hayseeds from Sacramento registering here and ranting endlessly about the Kings and goddamn irrigation ditches, which are the only things any of them care about. You moved there, it's your problem, leave us out of it.

Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted