1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wendy's pretzel bacon cheeseburger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yep, the cheese sauce ruined it for me, too.

Loved the pretzel bun, loved the little tang of the honey mustard, but when you take all that away ... you've got your standard Wendy's bacon cheeseburger. They would have been better off starting from scratch and making something completely different and solely for the pretzel bun, without the sauce, and like you said, with a leaner burger. They could have expanded that into a chicken offering for the pretzel bun, too.

Still haven't tried the Sonic pretzel bun hot dog. Hit their drive thru a couple of weeks back and didn't see it on the menu board. I asked if they still had them and the order girl said that was a limited time item and they don't have them any more. So I got a burger and went on my way. As I was waiting to turn out of the lot, I looked up at their LED sign and saw a big message about stopping in to try their new pretzel hot dogs. Sorry Sonic, not this guy.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Taco Bell is testing this in our area:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The pretzel dogs are pretty damn good. And like Batman or someone else said, the bun holds up a lot better than the Wendy's hamburger.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm going to try one tonight. Hopefully, they're generous with the toppings!

5. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I was in Wendy's and asked if I could have the pretzel bun on a grilled chicken sandwich. (I don't eat red meat, per doctor's request). They gave it to me, for an (unmentioned, I only noticed it at ring-up) 50 cent surcharge.

My review of the pretzel bun: I've had better. And I really like pretzel rolls—will almost always grab one just for a snack when I am in Whole Foods. But I found the Wendy's iteration lacking in genuine pretzel-ly goodness.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sometimes, but not in this case. The bun on the burger I had looked like a wet, soiled napkin by the time I was halfway through.

7. JackReacher

Had the pretzel burger last night. And while it wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten, it's doubtful I'll get another. It wasn't all that messy or anything, but the main attraction -- the pretzel bun -- really didn't distinguish itself. Kinda bland. But it did come with 3 slices of tomato, half an onion, and about 10 pounds of spinach.

It's been a while since I had been to a Wendy's. I forgot how good the fries are.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sheetz knows how to do pretzel-bun sandwiches.

9. JackReacher

The one in my area used to, anyway. Sadly, not so much anymore.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yesterday's desert of the day at the deli across the street from my house:

[​IMG]

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I missed this one:

[​IMG]

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw on the teevee that Wendy's stock price was up five percent because of significant sales increase.

Analysts said it was because the Pretzel burger was a McRibs-style hit. I had one last weekend.

The bun was good, the rest was like a normal Wendy's hamburger.

Draft saved Draft deleted