1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, we're at the beach for a week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 12, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just got back from 10 days at one of the best beaches in Amerca, on the Fla. gulf coast. Motel right on the beach, it also had a nice pool and we were two minutes from the sand. It was awesome, great swimming, nice breeze, cold beers, etc. Lots of German visitors, but nary a rock sock or banana hammock to be found, and thank god for that.

I don't especially like Florida and could never live there year-round, but I love the beaches. In my state they're pretty but worthless because they're so freakin' cold and windy.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Which part of the Gulf Coast?

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

No shame in showing love to the Third Coast. Represent.
    Tend to agree, although I hail from a state with plenty of all three.

There's nothing like sitting along the banks of a big river, though, especially one as big as The Father of All Waters. Epic.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You're at the beach for a week.

So what are you doing posting here?

Enjoy yourself!

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Try Destin. Perfect white sand that is a dream to sink your feet into and practically transparent water.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is how I enjoy ... when it's raining outside.

The Blue Angels show was delayed from Saturday until this afternoon. We had a pretty good front-row seat from our balcony. My son in law has a digital camera with a 48x lens and could get a decent shot of the pilots' faces as they roared past us. Quite the sound ... I think you would never forget that if you thought it was coming for you.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

85 miles and 1.5 hours away. You couldn't be more right. The water has been beautiful the seven or so times we've been this year.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Double H, I'm playing Tiger Point Golf Club in Gulf Breeze on Wednesday. Look for me at Bamboo Willie's on Pensacola Beach (yeah, I know it's a tourist trap) Tuesday evening.

I'll be the guy drinking a Bushwhacker.

9. The Destin beach is beautiful. The only problem is Highway 98. Good lord is it impossible to drive through town. I think, in some ways, that is why Navarre and Gulf Breeze has grown -- because Destin has too many tourists.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I like the gulf beaches south of tampa in the summer. not as many tourist types and you can get great deals on condos. the problem I have with the gulf is that it's a lot like a lake -- no big time waves until a hurricane comes calling.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I live an hour from Belmar and still haven't been there. I grew up in the Pacific Ocean. Haven't been to the beach in years. I really need to get the hell out of Dodge and into the Atlantic Ocean.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where I come from, the best beaches are on Lake Huron, about a two hour drive from Toronto. Lake Ontario is OK but you can't swim in it around Toronto.

Yeah, I know it's not the ocean but the best sunsets anywhere are on Lake Huron--and I've been to Key West where they think they invented sunsets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy your week Henry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted