1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, this isn't good news

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 30, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

so much for promoting good will amongst the Iraqis - who are deeply religious (or most of them are). This is not good at all.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

so much for innocent until proven guilty ...

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, I'm sure the U.S. military is launching an investigation off an anonymous phone call.

5. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

I don't think anyone's convicting them just yet, but Breakyoself was pointing out that the news that such an event may have transpired isn't going to sit well. And with our troops in a tough spot to start with, the mere fact such an atrocity MAY have occurred is enough to make a bad situation even worse for the troops.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Still not good. From the NYT

One soldier has admitted his role and has been arrested; others have had their weapons taken away and are confined to their base in Mahmudiya, American officials said. The soldiers under investigation are apparently from the same platoon as the three killed in Yusufiya.

Complete story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/01/w...&en=2d6fbe6d9ab88fae&ei=5094&partner=homepage

This is Vietnam all over. Time to get out.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You think? Whatever prompted you to take such a radical stance, JR?

It just gets worse, doesn't it? I do hope that anyone who has ever even entertained the idea that history will look kindly on this war is now kicking himself.

The very idea that we could invade a country and use brute force to spread democracy was possibly dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Guns and killing work for a lot things -- getting one country to stop bombing another, running one country's soldiers out of another country, making sure a country never again makes the mistake of bombing your country -- but when it comes to spreading a way of life, it just fails miserably. Tough to blame the Iraqis. Some guy shows up in my neighborhood and starts killing people, he's pretty much the last person I'm gonna model my life after.

It's never worked before, and, what do you know, it's not working now. Time to pack it in, cut and run, retreat, leave, get the hell out.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What happened here was wrong but...
    They're doing worse stuff to us. It's a war and our soldiers have a nanosecond to determine if these people pose any threat to them. They're terrorists, they deserve to be treated badly.
    Bottom line: Whatever we do is OK. Whatever the Islamofascists do is not OK.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're scarcasm font had soooooo better be on :mad:

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That last line is hilarious.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to use it but it was intended to be sarcasm.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . but . . . but. . . what about the oilllllllllll?

Draft saved Draft deleted